PDA

View Full Version : So worried about having my eye exam next week :(

anxious_thoughts
20-08-13, 00:05
The last time I've had an eye exam was about 4 years ago, I'm going next week but I'm so scared cause I have brain tumour anxiety and have lots of eye symptoms :(

I've had head pains for over 10 years but it seems like in the last 3 years my symptoms have become worse. I now can't lie on my sides cause I get head pains, I also get forehead pressure when I lie flat. I get dizziness but mostly when I'm anxious. Also things such as twitching and ear pains. I also get a cold or hot feeling in my head, when I look down I get forehead pain and feel a but dizzy, and when I look up I get top of head pain.

Along with these symptoms, it seems like I get a lot of vision disturbances. 4 years ago my eye doctor told me I have a floater in my right eye, which I always see when I look at the sky. I also sometimes see little black spots floating around very fast, these come out of nowhere any time of day. I also sometimes see small flashes of lights, and sometimes at night time if I have my room dark it feels like there is something blocking my vision in my right eye. But if I turn the light on it goes back to normal, my eyes always feel tired and dry. Sometimes if I look at something that is on a black background and has white writing, it looks weird almost like it doubles and it has a shadow behind it. This really worries me because most of my brain tumour symptoms are right sided. I'm scared my eye doctor will see something bad :( any advice?

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Anyone?

nomorepanic
20-08-13, 00:10
Did you leave it for 4 years because you were scared to get it checked?

You just have to go and get it done and deal with whatever they say but it should hopefully be nothing to worry about.

anxious_thoughts
20-08-13, 00:26
Yes, I did leave it for 4 years.
But I used to go every 2 years before that, do you think they would have noticed something back then? Especially since I've had symptoms for so long

nomorepanic
20-08-13, 00:35
I go every 2 years and things change so they could easily change in 4 years.

I can't 2nd guess what they will find but you are young so it is unlikely to be anything serious and won't be anything like a brain tumour.

anxious_thoughts
20-08-13, 01:01
Thank for the ressurance.
I'm really hoping its nothing serious, but my eye disturbances really worry me. :(

nomorepanic
20-08-13, 01:16
You may just need glasses and that could be the issues with the headaches as well so easily fixed.

anxious_thoughts
20-08-13, 02:33
Maybe, but the last few times they told me my eyes are great and I still had headaches back then

anxious_thoughts
20-08-13, 17:06
Anyone else?

jayjoe18
20-08-13, 18:07
Anxiety can cause all sorts of symptoms, headaches in particular! Obviously though as your having some eye problems it's always best to get them checked out. I got freaked out by my eye floaters the other week so went to the opticians on Friday. I was so nervous but I did it, it was fine and I'm really glad I got them checked out. You have to ask yourself would going for a checkup be worse than the constant stress and worry? Maybe there's a simple solution that can help with your symptoms? I don't want to worry you but the flashes and curtain over your eyes does need to be checked out, not to say you have a brain tumour but those are signs of eye problems so you really need to get that seen to. I know it's scary but you really must go for the sake of your health. Wishing you well, let us know how you get on.

rockydog
21-08-13, 20:10
I have all your eye symptoms and also an optician phobia. Floaters are very normal and the more stressed or panicked I get the more my vision blurs so bad I cant read a text message, but then it comes back. My son has flashes and a curtain type effect come over his eye when he has a migraine so it isn't always serious. He has been checked by an ophthalmic hospital x

anxious_thoughts
06-09-13, 21:09
Anxiety can cause all sorts of symptoms, headaches in particular! Obviously though as your having some eye problems it's always best to get them checked out. I got freaked out by my eye floaters the other week so went to the opticians on Friday. I was so nervous but I did it, it was fine and I'm really glad I got them checked out. You have to ask yourself would going for a checkup be worse than the constant stress and worry? Maybe there's a simple solution that can help with your symptoms? I don't want to worry you but the flashes and curtain over your eyes does need to be checked out, not to say you have a brain tumour but those are signs of eye problems so you really need to get that seen to. I know it's scary but you really must go for the sake of your health. Wishing you well, let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for answering late, I have been very busy.
I understand what you are saying, I just always overthink things and make myself believe the worst. My exam is tomorrow, and yes I'm super nervous but I know deep down that since I've had these symptoms for so long without any sign of it getting worse, than it must not be something too bad.

Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

I have all your eye symptoms and also an optician phobia. Floaters are very normal and the more stressed or panicked I get the more my vision blurs so bad I cant read a text message, but then it comes back. My son has flashes and a curtain type effect come over his eye when he has a migraine so it isn't always serious. He has been checked by an ophthalmic hospital x

Thank you so much for the reply and letting me know about your personal stories. It really makes me feel better that others have gone through symptoms just like mine.
I really appreciate all the reassurance but I still feel very nervous for tomorrow. I just want to get it over with :(

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Anyone else? My exam is tomorrow and I can't stop thinking about what if my optic nerves are swollen because of a brain tumour pressuring it :(

xvolatileheart
06-09-13, 22:22
I'm kind of going through the same thing. I've had a lot of visual symptoms since I started having issues last year. I'm putting off going to the eye doctor because I'm so scared of finding out I have something really wrong with my eyes. I have awful vision and it just worries me so much. I also feel like there's pressure behind my eyes by the end of the day and my dad just told me that he's developing glaucoma because he has a condition that causes high pressure in his eyes. If they find something wrong, I'll be devastated, and if they don't find anything wrong, I'll just think they've missed something major. It's a lose lose situation!

Be brave and get it over with. Good luck. :hugs:

anxious_thoughts
06-09-13, 23:04
Thanks so much for the reply!
It's very true, just got to be brave and get it over with. It makes me feel better that you've also had alike symptoms.
The thing that scares me are the head pains I get, but I've had them for over 10 years so it must not be something that serious. :( just trying to make myself believe that

xvolatileheart
06-09-13, 23:16
Exactly, if it were anything serious you wouldn't be here after 10 years!

anxious_thoughts
07-09-13, 02:35
I really hope so :(

anxious_thoughts
07-09-13, 14:49
Anyone? :( my appointment is in less than 2 hours I'm so nervous!!

xvolatileheart
07-09-13, 15:07
You will be fine! Let us know how it goes!

anxious_thoughts
07-09-13, 16:47
I hope so. I am now in te waiting room waiting for my results :(

crystal17
08-09-13, 00:08
How was it?!!.....

I hope you're ok :hugs:

And btw I'm in a VERY similar position, I have a severe phobia of opticians and been worried about my eyes for years but too scared to go.

anxious_thoughts
08-09-13, 15:16
Hello everyone! Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your support and reassurance.

I was beyond terrified yesterday but I've come to the realization that it was for absolutely no reason. My eyes are great! Everything looked good, as well as my optic nerve. I explained my concerns to her and she was able to show me what causes this and that.

And Crysyal, don't be afraid. Face your fears! I bet you everything will be fine. I had some super funny stuff happen to my eyes over the last three years so I thought I was for sure screwed but it showed that everything is in great shape. We always think the worst, but it's never really that bad :hugs:

crystal17
09-09-13, 00:49
Wow that really is fantastic to read that everything went ok! I am genuinely so happy for you as I know what a huge weight off your mind that will be. Well done for going!

Thanks for your supportive words - I am making myself go this week and I am absolutely terrified!

aggiecuttler
09-09-13, 07:58
Hi Jen, the monster has not easied up in anyway then!!! you must make yourself go to the appointment, putting your head in the sand was always what i thought i would do but now I face things head on you know my story so i will not go over old ground. Your BT fear is ruling your life you can not go on like this you are in a constant worry and fear, or what might be, you worry far more than i do sweetie and i have a BT!!!
The eye dr will check your eyes which is needed and they can only detect pressure build up i believe so it would not show a BT necessarily, depending on location, i had my eyes checked about 5 years ago and they did not detect mine from looking at my eyes!! Live your life one day you will not have it or you will have something to actually worry about, you need to get your health anxiety in check and speak to a dr as soon as you can, i really dont think you have a BT but i am no dr, if for some reason you ever do have something wrong i would want to get diagnosed asap, do to the eye dr and if you can get an MRI to rule out your fears otherwise this will never go away blessings Jen xxx