PDA

View Full Version : Shock from touching ariel

RVP
21-08-13, 22:17
my anxiety has been perfect but just now i was setting my tv ariel sat on my radiator, i am wearing shorts, and when i screwed the ariel part i got a little pinch feeling electric shock type on my inner thigh where it was touching the radiator, is this dangerous? and after that im getting a weird taste in my mouth im really worried..

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

anyone please im really scared my hearts going to stop or something

I meant to coaxial cable not antenna

Annie0904
21-08-13, 22:17
It will just be static and not dangerous at all.

nomorepanic
21-08-13, 22:18
It doesn't sound like anything serious to me and I agree with Annie

RVP
21-08-13, 22:23
this is really stupid but i didnt know where it came from first, so i touched the ariel again and it pinched my thigh again.. it didnt feel like the normal static you get from touching car or something
im so worried

Annie0904
21-08-13, 22:27
Nothing to worry about. My son drilled through an electric wire by mistake and was thrown back but he came to no harm. The Ariel will just be static and sometimes it can give quite a shock but is harmless.

RVP
21-08-13, 22:30
Thank you, that is reassuring but why do i have the weird taste? thats whats worrying me

Annie0904
21-08-13, 22:33
It could be totally unrelated.

RVP
21-08-13, 22:35
it happened literally 10 seconds after it
also the shock lasts for as long as you hold the ariel cable if that helps..

saab
21-08-13, 22:41
Sounds like static, as ariels and radiators are not 'live'. I once got a small electric shock from a live wire - unpleasant but didn't cause any lasting damage. Static shocks can't do any damage to the body, I'm sure. Certainly wouldn't affect your heart. I think the funny taste is just coincidental. I am sure you will be fine, it's your health anxiety bluffing you into thinking of the worst outcome in any given situation.

RVP
21-08-13, 22:44
sorry its not the ariel.. its the tv cable that sticks into your tv.
coaxial cable

Annie0904
21-08-13, 22:55
The coaxial cable won't be live either. It wond do you any harm.

RVP
21-08-13, 23:22
okay thank you so much havent felt this anxiety for a while and its already giving me minor chest pain :(

Universal
21-08-13, 23:30
yes antenna cable dose carry very small amounts of electricity but NONE that could ever harm you.
electromagnetic energy is quite funny it only flows when there is a potential difference we call this voltage.

when you touched the antenna cable you became the same potential as the cable, when you touched the radiator you body then became the same potential as the radiator. The radiator is earthed as part as the electrical standards in our country when you touched it a current flowed due to the fact of their being a potential difference that all.

RVP
21-08-13, 23:49
so it is completely harmless?

mikewales
22-08-13, 07:14
The coax cable can carry a very small charge depending on the setup, it is tiny though and will give you a tingle but nothing worse than that.

Generally with electric shocks if they were going to inure you it would be at the time you did it, not any long term effects afterwards. Even shocks from the mains generally aren't dangerous as the RCD's in your house will kick in to cut the power.

I have electrocuted myself fom the mains quite a few times, plus had 600V + shocks from the inside of amplifiers and never had any problems. I am a degree qualified electrical and electronic engineer as well, so should know better to be more careful lol