PDA

View Full Version : How long do side effects last?

ian1982
21-08-13, 22:34
I recently started taking pregabalin and in a few weeks will be on 600mg. Anxiety has reduced a lot but every time I fall asleep I have crazy dreams and bad nightmares. Is this likely to get worse as the dosage goes up?

BobbyDog
22-08-13, 12:58
I don't think you have to go up to 600mg in order to benefit from taking Pregabalin, I believe the suggested dosage for anxiety is between 300mg (which I take) and 600mg. I do not have a problem with bad dreams, only a foggy head, weight gain and blurred vision. By the way, I have tried coming off this drug a few times because of the weight gain unsuccessfully due to withdrawal and return of some unpleasant anxiety symptoms.

SarahH
22-08-13, 14:50
I am on 300mgs a day (reduced from 400mgs in the last week). I did not have bad dreams but did have all the other SE's as Bobbydag describes. They do reduce with time. For me the SE's were better than having terrifying anxiety.

I agree with Bobbydog you dont necessarily have to go up to 600mgs.
What dose are you on now?

Sarah

ian1982
22-08-13, 19:47
At the moment I'm on 375mg going up another 75mg next week, I have other side effects too, light headedness is one and a hazy drunk feeling too. My anxiety is pretty bad so my GP suggested going upto 600mg. I too would rather the have the bad dreams than the anxiety, I had the nightmares as a side effect years ago on Paroxetine and stopped taking that and moved onto Venlafaxine.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark13
22-08-13, 20:53
Ian

This is from the Greater Manchester West NHS pregabalin prescribing guidance for anxiety:
N.B Doses of above 450mg daily not thought to be any more effective Ref Bazire
Psychotropic Drug Directory 2009. 400mg more effective than 600mg(NICE)
Prescribing twice daily dose is cheaper than three times daily dose

Just thought I'd mention it even though I went up to 600mg, I did drop back to 400mg and the effect was the same as far as I could tell.

My point being that when you get to 450mg, if you don't respond as you need, an increase is unlikely to help.

Not my opinion of course, that of the NHS, it's obviously up to your GP and yourself which dose is effective for you.

ian1982
22-08-13, 22:08
Thanks for that Mark, I'll discuss it with my GP when I see her next.