PDA

View Full Version : I have always been an anxious person

cassper
22-08-13, 05:03
I have always been a pretty anxious person. I remember having an anxiety attack with "detached from your body" symptoms when I was about 10. I remember thinking "What's going on, is this my life?" etc. About a year or so after my mum passed away from cancer when I was 14, I started getting these same anxiety attacks again. I also experienced chronic depression and didn't go to school for about 3 months. I was prescribed Zoloft which I took until I was about 17 and this seemed to fix things at the time.

I'm 22 now. About 2 months ago, after a big night of drinking, I was sitting at work and I suddenly started having heart palpitations, hot flushes, tingling in fingers and seriously thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the medical centre where they did an ECG and told me I had Atrial Flutter and sent me to the emergency room at the hospital with my results.
I handed my results over at the hospital and the doctor read them. She said "Do you have anxiety?" And I said that I have had anxiety issues in the past. She said she could not see A. flutter in the results and wanted to do another ECG. I was kept under observation for about 3 hours, had 4 ECGs done, blood test including thyroid, urine test, blood sugar and blood pressure. All came back normal but with fast heart rate. I was told I seem to be quite healthy and should see my GP about anxiety.

About 2 weeks ago, I started feeling anxious again and it is all related to my heart. I'm always concerned with what it is doing. I feel like I can feel it skip beats and feel it in my throat which scares me which in turn, increases my heart rate. I can't stop checking my pulse, I'm so scared that there is something wrong. I can't stop Googling and monitoring my symptoms all the time. Its very hard to concentrate on anything else.

I was prescribed Zoloft again 2 weeks ago, but today went to see my doctor to explain that I am still having palpitations. Blood pressure was up today in the doctors office and heart rate about 120bpm.
On Monday I am getting a 24 hr holter monitor fitted and then a 24 hr blood pressure test. He wants to check my resting rate so he can say with certainty that it is anxiety.

I am so scared! Talk about anxiety, my blood pressure won't be any better over the next few days before I'm monitored.

Well anyway, just wanted to tell my story. I've been reading all your stories for months now and felt like putting my 2 cents in.

Cassper

cokesmyth5
22-08-13, 07:57
Cassper
I can so identify with your account. I too have taken myself to a&e with a pounding heart that I feel obsessed about. All down to anxiety. Give your meds some time which is very hard to do, I know. You could ask your doc for some other short term meds to relieve acute anxiety while the main one starts to work, to help make life more bearable right now. Things will improve, have faith in that.
Take care

pepsi
22-08-13, 13:36
hi I have been suffering with palpatations and my head goes all light I too thought I had heart problems and I went for an ecg all came back ok Its horrible to hear your heart beating out of zinc and not knowing what you can do to stop it

silhouette
22-08-13, 19:16
hi i started having these attacks when i was young im still here 56years old you got to distract your self from the fear .paint a fence. wall paper .long walks. any thing to distract the feeling it works eventually the main thing is not to give in just try ditraction its never easy so i now what your going through hope this helps silhouette

cassper
22-08-13, 21:35
To get up this morning and see these replies was amazing. Its so great to post your own story and find that people relate.

I kept waking up in the night last night, concerned about my heart, checking my pulse. It kind of makes me think it must be anxiety related, since I didn't wake up checking my pulse in the night before I went to the doctors yesterday and was told I have high blood pressure and referred to get a holter monitor. Makes the whole thing even scarier.

I just hope to get the results back from the holter monitor and blood pressure test, find out that everything is OK and be able to move on with my life!!!

jonathan1985
22-08-13, 23:56
hi ,I can definatley relate to your worry about your heart.im exactly the same,get heart palps/flutters,check my pulse all the time,and sometimes wear a heart monitor to keep my mind at rest because I can just look at the wrist monitor and reassure myself my heart is beating fine,also been in A+E a few times with it to...so your not alone :)

Mark13
22-08-13, 23:59
Hi Cassper. I'm sure you'll be glad you joined.

There's plenty of advice and support here.

You're not alone.

I don't have panic attacks or Health Anxiety (at the moment, had it previously) but I have had GAD since I was 12, probably even earlier - so I can relate to your childhood thoughts.

My traumas were related to my own life-saving brain surgeries for hydrocephalus at 8 and 12 years old.

All the best.