PDA

View Full Version : CT Scan Results Obtained

Darren1
22-08-13, 10:29
Hello everyone

Well last Thursday I had my CT scan for swollen glands. This covered Neck, Armpit, Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis. I had a contrast injection too.

Friday the hospital called me to say I had an appointment Wednesday (yesterday) - I was too scared to ask why but thought it was obviously something showed up on the scan.

I spent the weekend trying not to think about it and then called on Monday to ask more. The secretary told me they did not have the results and that I was being called in early because the consultant was on holiday next week but she was hoping to get the report by Wednesday.

I had my appointment yesterday afternoon and basically she told me no significant abnormalities were found. All my glands are under 1cm and not of concern. My bones look normal, no enlarged spleen or anything.

I was relieved to begin with because I thought they would tell me I was riddled with tumours. The consultant has discharged me and says to go back to my GP!

I am basically back to square one - I have neck and underarm pain with no explanation after 3 months of tests. I am living on ibuprofen everyday!

I have been on antidepressants for the last month which has certainly helped my mental health atleast but today I feel 'down' and fed up.

I was originally going to my GP today to organise a private mri scan but i've decided to leave it 2 weeks and just try enjoy a bit of life.

I can't believe I have no answers - I could go down a very black road of thinking about the CT scan not looking at everything etc etc etc.

Of course all my friends and family are THRILLED at the news and no doubt they all think this whole thing is OVER. They must now all think it was anxiety after all....Feel like I've now lost support from all of them.

*sigh*

Speranza
22-08-13, 10:35
I believe painkillers can cause pain if you use them for a long time... and anxiety certainly causes all sorts of physical symptoms. Glad the scan was clear. You DO have answers, you have been told you are NOT riddled with tumours. I would maybe think now about working on your mind rather than re-examining your body. What help do you get with thinking through your anxiety? If you have the money for a private MRI scan, it may be better spent on some psychological support?

robin321
22-08-13, 15:08
That is fantastic news! And it should be enough for you to accept!
When I had a clean ultrasound report on my lymph nodes (neck) it took took awhile for it to sink in. And even then my health anxiety moved on to other things for a few months. I think this is normal.. because you have had high anxiety for so long that your subconcisous cannot accept that it isn't warrented. But a CT scan is the gold standard of diagnotists, so I think you should believe it.