PDA

View Full Version : Helpppppp

Brandy1970
22-08-13, 11:24
Hi everyone these panic attacks are mental today I am having one after another still waiting to see a therapist how is everyone else doing lots hugs brandy :blush: xxxxxxxxxx

Gem_182
24-08-13, 01:05
Try not to worry hun. Just take deep breaths and imagine something or somewhere nice and tell yourself that you will be ok. Sending big hugs. It's horrible to feel this way. Hope all goes well with the therapist! x

Gabor
24-08-13, 08:53
Hi,

Therapists usually prescribe anti-depressants and calm-pills and it takes 4-5 weeks before symptoms disappear/ become softer. ( I am a good old warrior, my first panic attack happened back in 1998, and I am under medical treatment since then).

First of all, you need to know that anxiety attacks are partially (? mostly, I don't know?) caused by the fact that the ratio of oxygen and CO2 changes in your blood. This means that the CO2 level increases which leads to hyperventilation. Anxiety, in itself, is not abnormal, this process prepares your body for "hit or run" situations. E.g. a bear attacks you in a forest, your body is getting ready for potential counter-steps (climb onto a high tree, try to run away etc). In case of panic attacks, however, there is no real danger around you, you simply hyperventilate and this causes very unpleasant symptoms.

Based on my experience, I may give you some practical advices before medication hits.

1. Jogging helps a lot, somehow it puts your breathing back to normal. I usually do 5-6 kms (unfortunately only twice a week, but more is better).
2. Stretching. This keeps your muscles relaxed, you will feel complete control over your body. I usually combine stretching with push-ups and sit-ups and some yoga elements. Once your muscles are relaxed, it is less likely that symptoms will hit you.
3. Control your breath. Keep your breath in as long as you can, and when you let the air out, you should do it very slowly. Do this 5-6 times at a time.

And most importantly, hold on, 15 years have passed since my first attack and I am still enjoying the sunshine :-).

Gabor