PDA

View Full Version : Scared of colonoscopy

cdancel
22-08-13, 14:25
Thanks to everyone who posted their stories. They help. I have one scheduled for Tuesday at 11am. My sigmoidoscopy showed twelve polyps so was told I have genetic predisposition to colon cancer and have to have the colonoscopy. I am very frightened of the procedure as my doctor insists on doing it sedated (US) and I am scared I might already have cancer and I am scared of having my entire colon removed. (Removing the colon is the treatment of choice for the condition in my family as without it there is a near 100% chance of colon cancer.) I'm finding sleep very elusive and would appreciate any advice people have for sleeping and relaxing while awaiting something they find scary.
Thanks!

sarahjane2671
22-08-13, 16:48
I felt the very same as you. Petrified of the procedure and what they would find. Especially with my family background. I had biopsies and watched the whole thing on the screen and never felt a thing The bowel has no nerve linings apparently so you shouldn't feel pain if they remove the polyps. It really is not as bad as it looks. Yes, uncomfortable at times but I was chatting away to them as they explained where things were and was fascinated by it. Those moments where it hurt, I told them and they stopped and turned me, and it went away. And never hurt when they withdrew it as I did wonder but it really is fine. Now I know, I can shout from the rooftops that I did it lol and am sure you will be doing the same afterwards. All the fuss for nothing.

I came the conclusion in my head that if things were that bad, they would perform them under a general. And they really are not bad. I hope all goes well for you :-)

cdancel
26-08-13, 10:07
Thanks Sarah! Getting much more nervous. Have only slept 3-4 hours a night the past two nights. It's tomorrow so on,y one more sleepless night! So weird to look forward to something and dread it at the same time. I am so convinced I already have cancer. At first was only scared I had colon cancer. Now scared that I also have stomach and thyroid cancer which are both much note common with my illness, familial adamateous polyposis. I've read so many of everyone's positive stories on here but still so scared.

Speranza
26-08-13, 10:35
My brother has had this procedure for the same reasons. He was fine.

It did make me wonder if this is much more common in the States, as he lives there and was screened routinely and the polyps were found. I wonder if it's like breast screening, which we know is valuable but also throws up a lot of 'possible cancers' which in fact are statistically very unlikely ever to come to anything.

I am sure you are just being treated with caution rather than diagnosed with something bad, I hope it goes well for you. xx

cdancel
26-08-13, 11:07
Thanks for the kind words. I will try to focus on them instead of all the what ifs.

sarahjane2671
28-08-13, 14:40
How did you get on cdancel?

cdancel
30-08-13, 11:42
Procedure went well. I was terrified but everyone was very nice and helped calm me down. She removed 10 polyps but couldn't get them all. She didn't think any of them looked cancerous - biopsies were taken to be sure tho and get those results next week. She did recommend the colon be removed due to the number of polyps. Whether she meant now or it could wait awhile I don't know. I do want to emphasize to everyone tho that this is due to a very rare disease that is in my family. I would be very surprised if anyone here had this too and if you did, you would most likely be suspicious of it already as a parent would have had problems already.I have to also see a genetics counselor and get tests done. I'm hoping to find more treatment options too. At first I was just relieved to have the test over with, now starting to get nervous about the colectomy but it helps to share here. Thank you for being here.

Speranza
30-08-13, 14:00
That sounds good. I am so glad they are on top of your condition.
xxx

cdancel
30-08-13, 14:09
Thanks speranza and sarahjane for your support! Now to get over my fear of general anesthesia. :)

sarahjane2671
06-09-13, 10:55
Sorry for the late reply but am glad you got through that ok. I had a general anaesthetic a few years ago and am very overweight so was very worried but got through it ok (that was for gallbladder removal and not bowel problems). I woke up feeling very drunk and slept for ages but felt fine. The surgeon reassured me he operated on bigger people as well.

But I do hope you get over the procedure well, and it sounds like its the best option for your problems.

I am still waiting for my biopsy results but I think I would have heard by now if there were problems. But at least you've got through one procedure and you will get through the next one :-) Good luck :)

cdancel
13-09-13, 17:52
Thanks for sharing your story Sarahjane! Hope your results come back fine! I just had an esophagram/barium swallow thing. Doctor said I will probably need an endoscopy soon as they found my stomach was inflamed. Wish I was a calmer, saner person, now I am worried about stomach cancer. :)

sarahjane2671
16-09-13, 15:19
Aww, try not to worry. As that nurse said to me, its fearing the unknown. At least they are looking into it :-)