PDA

View Full Version : Dr Claire weekes -tapes anyone??

rosietj
23-08-13, 07:18
Hi all. Does anyone know where the audio tapes of dr Claire weekes might be found. I think most are now unavailable though.

For all you suffers out there of all anxiety and panic horrors I would highly recommend dr weekes. I am in a dark place at the moment with this horrible HA and reach for her self help book to help me. I am trying so hard to follow her teachings as they make such sense but its always really difficult when in the throws of this black dog to get a step on the ladder. Anyway we are not alone and thanks for any ideas where I can get her tapes/CDs. X

Pipkin
23-08-13, 07:43
Have you tried iTunes? They definitely have at least one to download. Amazon or eBay are also a good bet for physical copies.

Pip

saab
23-08-13, 10:25
They are great books. Have you tried searching You Tube or Spotify?

rosietj
23-08-13, 18:00
Thanks both. I will try your suggestions. Claire weekes I believe is helping me see the wood for the trees but this acceptance and letting the awfulness just come and embrace it rather than fight it is so difficult. I wish she had done something on HA too. Thanks again x

saab
23-08-13, 18:27
She does touch on health anxiety in places. She talks about obsessive thinking and letting the thoughts bounce off or drift past you. I agree that it is difficult to 'float' through anxiety and certainly very hard to accept awful physical sensations like palpitations or nausea. Not fighting is key though - let the feelings wash over you and the panic does subside.

I often think that CW was promoting CBT before anyone had even coined the term. I have been trying out Mindfulness - Jon Kabbat Zinn has some good books with cds - which originates in Buddhist meditation. These also remind me of CW's teachings on acceptance, though obviously Buddhism came first.

We constantly seek reassurance and certainty - Am I ill? I want more tests to prove 100% that I don't have xxxxx disease. No one can give us enough reassurance or certainty - we have to learn to live with uncertainty.

I saw on the recent BBC OCD Camp programme that the kids had to repeat "Something bad could happen" over and over again to get them away from compulsive behaviour that calmed their negative thoughts. I think those of us with health anxiety have to learn to live with uncertainty too.