PDA

View Full Version : Just prescribed Propranolol

emlica
23-08-13, 16:23
Went to see the GP today as I realised my anxiety symptoms were getting to be more of a problem than the digestive symptoms that I've been anxious about, if you see what I mean. Doctor was very reassuring about my digestive symptoms and said she thought everything sounded like it was going in the right direction and there was no need to worry. She has agreed that I can have some more blood tests as there were a couple of things I was worried about (needlessly, no doubt, but I think she realised I needed confirmation). But I also told her how worried I was - and I tried not to, but inevitably I had a little cry at her, mainly just because it was so difficult for me to admit that I was having a problem.

She suggested that I try some propranolol. I have 40mg tablets and she suggested starting off with just one a day. I'd told her that when I was busy and distracted I didn't have nearly as many anxiety symptoms, and she said these were very good for that as you can take 'as and when' - so if I think I'm going to be distracted enough that I won't be anxious, I needn't take any, but then I can decide I do need one later in the day. My understanding is that it's intended to treat the physical symptoms of the anxiety rather than actually addressing the mental issue, right? That actually sounds like what I need - I was very reluctant to take meds as I don't like the thought of altering my mood (sounds stupid eh?), but this sounds good, as I think it was getting into a vicious cycle of being anxious about my anxiety symptoms.

Reassured to read a few positive stories here and hoping for the best, but have a quick question for anyone who's been taking these on the 'as and when' basis for anxiety: I know I might get some side effects like tiredness, but how long does that last? By which I mean, if I have a day where I do need to take one (or two, or whatever), have you found that it's just that day that you feel the tiredness (assuming you don't then take any more), or does it fade? Similarly, I've seen on here that you're meant to avoid alcohol with them - if I take one today and none tomorrow, does that still mean I shouldn't drink alcohol tomorrow? I actually asked my doctor if these were OK with alcohol, and she said they should be fine on the dose I'm on as long as the alcohol was in moderation, so I thought that would be fine: I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and would at least like to be able to toast the bride and groom! Wasn't until I read the leaflet and some stuff on here that I started wondering...

emlica
24-08-13, 10:00
Ugh, so I took my first dose, and I think I did feel a bit calmer... until a few hours later when I had severe diarrhea :( My anxiety is around digestive symptoms, but I've not had diarrhea like that other than when I've had an actual stomach bug. Feeling pretty feeble and queasy this morning too. It says nausea and diarrhoea are possible side effects, though not that common. Meh. Looks like it might not be for me :(

ilda8786
30-10-13, 10:55
I've been taking this medicine for a while 10mg 3x a day in the past.
Then i stopped. Started using it again when my heart was racing only. In june been told to take 1x 40mg a day but ended up not taking it cause i didnt need it. Yesterday went gp she told me to take 2x 40mg so i decided to do so. As soon as i got home took one and i reacted bad to it. I guess they are to strong and never had problems with 10mg only. Just rang her now and she is not at gp. Oh well im not going to take them till i talk to her tomorrow:(