PDA

View Full Version : A pre holiday panic problem, if you can help please? :)

Gem_182
24-08-13, 01:11
Hi people!

I've been a member on here but not posted very much, must do it more often it's so nice to hear other people understand!

Anyway, I'm going on holiday to Wales a week tomorrow and I'm really scared. I've going with my boyfriend and family and we have been to the same place for the past two years so I know it well and feel comfortable around them and they understand. However, this year I feel a lot more panicy about going. I'm worried I will have a panic attack, and because it's 4 hours away I'm terrified of being so far away from home and worry I won't settle. I worry about the long journey and worry that if I get there, I will worry that I won't be able to get back without any panics etc. Can anyone help me feel a little less panicy? I know it's bad and sorry for rambling! Also can you use rescue remedy with Citalopram?

thanks so much in advance,
Gem x

rufess1
24-08-13, 01:30
hi Gem, I cant make you feel less panicky only you can do that, I totally understand how your feeling though x
If im worried about something and worry too much about it I can end up bringing a panic attack on, so when I catch myself saying "what if" I try and instantly tell myself "so what" its really hard though when your worried about something.

Your only going to be 4 hours away, if you don't settle, come home. If you have a panic attack, its nothing to be ashamed or scared of even though they are the worst feeling ever.
I tell everyone about my panic disorder, I don't care what they will think of me, some people probably think im a fruit loop but im not bothered. That's coz I am lol xx

I now take beta blockers and OMG how chilled out do I feel, they have been a life saver for me as I was getting a bad panic attack every night, sometimes they would last for hours as well.
Is your boyfriend and family supportive about the panic attacks?

Gem_182
24-08-13, 01:43
Thanks so much for your reply! And for your kind words, they have made me feel better! :)
Yeah, I try to do that when I'm getting those "what if" moments, but like you say sometimes it's hard when you're really worried about it.

thanks that's true, it just seems like 4 hours is so long away :( my boyfriend and his family are so incredibly supportive nd lovely about it all, so I feel mad at myself because if a panic did come on, I know I would be with people I feel comfortable with, but I just really hate it. Bless you, I bet you aren't a fruit loop! I think that about myself too though, when you tell people you wonder what they are thinking!
I've never tried beta blockers, but glad they work for you! and ouch a panic for hours as well, bless you and well done for getting past those, that's amazing!

I know I'm being silly, but I just can't stop thinking about it, it's getting to the point where everyday I'm thinking and worrying about it :( xxx

rufess1
24-08-13, 01:56
I know what you mean, I worry about things like that and work myself up into a right old state. But usually what I find is when it comes down to it Ive worked myself up over absolutely nothing...

You will probably find, on the day you will travel the journey and have a lovely holiday and end up thinking OMG what was I worried about.

Im a health worrier, so far ive managed to work myself up into a state of panic after visiting doctor Google and self diagnosing cervical cancer, breast cancer, HIV lol, my favourite worry is a blood clot, plus many more.... I have None of these things just panic disorder lol, my doc is probably sick of the site of me by now lol...

Hope everything goes well for you which im sure it will and have a great holiday, Im dead jealous xx :hugs:

Annie0904
24-08-13, 08:07
I am going to Wales today and it is 7 hours away for me. Ihave all the usual anxieties about it but knowI will be fine when I get there so just feeling the fear and doing it anyway. The fact that it is raining today is making it worse fpr me as I hate travelling by car when it rains. I hope you have a lovely holiday Gem

Gem_182
24-08-13, 19:17
Thanks rufess1 :) I so appreciate your kinds words. I hope it will be like that, I will probably feel like you say on saturday night next week - omg what was I worrying about!

Oh bless you! I know what you mean though! Doctor Google is baaad! :( I was gonna say try going to your doctors,cos google always comes up with crazy stuff! But don't worry about how many times you go to the doc, that's what they are there for and what they are paid to do and if it puts your mind at rest its worth its weight in gold :)

Thanks so so much :) :hugs: I hope it will be ok,, I will probably be on here up until I go! Lol. And updates to follow after it hehe :) xxx

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Aww bless you Annie! 7 hours? Ooh bless you but I know you will be ok! I'm glad that it's not just me feeling this way. This forum is so helpful! where abouts in Wales are you going? and how long for? Try not to worry about the weather either, try and focus on something else, like reading (unless you get travel sick of course!) or playing a game like making up words with people's license plates. Thanks for your kind words, and I hope you have a fab holiday too xx

Col
24-08-13, 20:29
Gem & Annie GOOD LUCK :emot-cheering: have a good time XXX

Gem_182
24-02-14, 12:38
Thanks for your reply and sorry that I didn't reply back. All was good, I had one panic attack whilst I was there and managed to calm down. Also had to go to the docs whilst I was there with something wrong with my toe! But I coped ok with all that too. Thanks again for your kind words xxx

ohwell123
24-02-14, 15:24
the fact you are thinking about it now is fuelling the panic ready for the holiday does that make sense? you will now have trained your mind that thinking about the holiday should fill your body with fear

if you occupy your mind now with other things it will die down only you can do this if you look on a forum for reassurance your feeding your anxiety to give you 10 minutes relief

to be honest I have to feel for you a little bit I couldnt think of anything worse than going on holiday with family apart lol from partner and kids,,