PDA

View Full Version : Matchday anxiety returns

NE21 worrier
24-08-13, 13:03
Hello everyone,

Is it really that time again? The new football season is upon us, another 10 months of hope dashed by disappointment, courtesy of Newcastle United :footy:

Oh yes and, as a season ticket holder, matchday anxiety. It's something I've always had maybe but it was only last season that it became noticeably bad as I struggled with breakfast on the morning before a home game (and even resorted to Valium (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133491) on the morning of the derby against the mackems - nee wonder, it finished 0-3!)

Moreover, away games with a couple of friends at Norwich and Swansea seemed like good ideas at the time but, again on both occasions, I struggled with my anxiety - lump in the throat, nasty chest pain and a poor appetite.

Despite all this, I do love watching football and Newcastle so why do I often feel so anxious? I'm generally OK in crowds - I've rarely let my anxiety get in the way of going to football matches and gigs over the years. Is it instead because I care so much (too much?!) about the outcome?

Or another explanation derives from the memories of my younger days when going to matches with mates would be fuelled by lager and fastfood. It was a combination which often ended in disaster with me bent over double in some back lane out of the view of the bouncers bringing half of my guts up (sorry for the graphic image!). Absolutely horrible - but not something which I have done for maybe four years now. Yes, I'll still usually have a couple before the game but the pace and volume is much more in moderation these days.

Today, then, is the first home game and I have managed a decent breakfast of scrambled egg and toast. I found it difficult getting it all down though, and have had rather loose bowels since. As I say, I love football and even love NUFC, for all their faults - but another 10 months of this feeling on a matchday doesn't sound like much fun :weep:

Thanks for reading,
Peter

Magic
24-08-13, 13:58
Peter, I have the same problem. I am taking my daughter to Stokes first home game in about half an hour. I am so nervous. Being among 28thousand football fans:ohmy:
my stomach is churning and my hands are trembling
Wish you well:hugs:

Annie0904
24-08-13, 19:29
I can't say I am surprised when you support Newcastle Peter...how about supporting Liverpool and being anxiety free :D

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Seriously, Peter I have to admit that I had one of my worst panic attacks at a match Liverpool were playing Newcastle! We won but I still had a panic attack 10 mins before the end of the game. I don't know if it was the crowds, the worry about if we would win or not, I don't know.

graham58
24-08-13, 22:29
Some good posts here. I'd imagine it was quite common to have panics at big sports matches,

I had one the first and only time I've been to Twickenham, to see Cornwall play Cheshire in the County Rugby Final in 1998 (Cheshire won). I was about to enter the stadium when I saw someone carried out on a stretcher in front of me, and I made the mistake of looking; his face had gone all the colours of the rainbow (a death was later announced during the match, and I suspect it was him).

That shook me, and as an agoraphobic sufferer I wasn't finding it easy to cope with the size of the stadium anyway. I only really started enjoying the match just before half time and then afterwards.

Twinset
25-08-13, 00:59
I can't claim to 100% understand the strong feelings people have about football teams... But I have read than the adrenalin rush of excitement can feel the same as panic. Perhaps convincing yourself that you are excited rather than nervous could help? I have tried it and it is bloody hard but it has worked for me once or twice.

Tessar
25-08-13, 10:55
Perhaps the match day anxiety is a habit you've formed (for very good reason & as u say there could well be contributing factors from your last). But don't forget you CAN work on this anxiety. Perhaps because when it IS match day, part of your routine is being anxious?
So maybe if you take a different stance, as in, well it is match day... Previously I have become anxious but on this occasion I will not automatically believe that match day = anxiety. I does not.
I have been to many many matches myself since I was little. All over the country. Small grounds. Big grounds. I've had experiences where fights have kicked off. Fans have been throwing bricks at us. none of those things pleasant but.... Also I have been in huge crowds where all those thousands of people flocking to the ground have been happy, full of excited anticipation of seeing a great game. on those occasions I have enjoyed myself thoroughly.
I believe that over the last 40 years, football and the atmosphere at matches has changed and become far more tense and/or aggressive. just like the world as a whole. Despite that like I say, it is still possible to enjoy going to a football match.
You definitely need a change of tack. Find a way of enjoying the build up. If you start feeling nervous or anxious, you need to explore methods of reassuring yourself. As a season ticket holder you are committed to going, it is therefore worthwhile exploring avenues to make the build up to the game more enjoyable. Focus on team news. Study the opposition, their form. Do you arrive early? Take in the atmosphere as the ground fills? Read the program back to back? All sorts of simple things can make your day more enjoyable. Design these things to distract your anxiety. That is the way that you will win.
I can't guarantee that Newcastle will win. I saw their much on sky this week & they didn't impress. I couldn't believe Taylor got himself sent off in the first match of the season but you have a superb goalkeeper in Krul. He was brilliant. There are elements of a good team going for you.... Don't give up hope of either a successful season or of conquering you fears. IT CAN BE DONE!

NE21 worrier
26-08-13, 19:54
Hello everyone,

Well, the match was a dull 0-0 which deserved its last place on Match of the Day - and, in the end, hardly something worth getting the adrenaline flowing.

Nevertheless, despite the lack of entertainment on offer, I did have a good afternoon in town, even bumping into some old workmates after the match and enjoying a good catch up over a pint, and not too many of those. Once again, I had got anxious over nothing much - surely, more evidence for next time that I needn't get myself so worked up, you would think.

But I have had piles of this evidence for years, certainly since I stopped letting the follies of youth (see OP) spoil my day. Strange then, that in the face of the evidence that I'm almost always fine at the match, I still get anxious on the morning of each one, as if I have no contrary evidence.

Thus, I can only just put it down to another badly learned habit, as Tessar brilliantly explained:

Perhaps the match day anxiety is a habit you've formed (for very good reason & as u say there could well be contributing factors from your last). But don't forget you CAN work on this anxiety. Perhaps because when it IS match day, part of your routine is being anxious?

This makes sense as well as Twinset's suggestion that my body is getting confused over what the adrenaline being produced was for. But, as a devotee to Claire Weekes's theories on anxiety, presumably the more I don't want to associate getting nervous with going to the match, the more it will be there. That's fighting the thought, rather than accepting that due to the very adrenaline-inducing nature of the occasion, there will be some nerves.

I guess it's not letting it get in the way which is the key. Thanks for everyone's responses in this thread, hope you've all enjoyed a lovely bank holiday weekend.

Peter

Tessar
26-08-13, 20:21
Yes, indeed.... Good point maybe there is confusion in your body over what the adrenaline is intended for. I can remember many an exciting game when it was on a knife edge, the excitement (especially if you are winning) can be absolutely electric. I can appreciate why the lead up to a match would trigger anxiety. I guess it's like anything causing anxiety, the more we work on it and discuss it, the more likely we are to resolve it. There are certainly some good viewpoints here which will hopefully be helpful to you.

NE21 worrier
01-02-14, 10:21
Sorry to bump an old thread just to think aloud - and, btw, this has actually been much better this season with the exception of today.

That's entirely understandable, though, as it's Derby Day (v Sunderland) - and I'm going.

I'm feeling masses of adrenaline, hopefully won't punch any horses:D, hopefully won't lose 3-0 again.

Probably going to have a listen to some relaxation tapes, a blast of Local Hero by Mark Knopfler then get the bus into town. My adrenaline will be better spent there than waiting and worrying in bed, I think.

Ho'way the Toon :footy:

Tessar
01-02-14, 13:01
I would feel the adrenaline rushing if I were off to a derby game! That's the nature of them though and why it is so good when you win.... because it matters soooo much.

Magic
01-02-14, 13:37
Stoke are playing Man U today. Stoke are not doing well.
I glue myself to the TV just with the tv text on. waiting for the results.
cannot listen to the match on the radio, but I do listen to "praise and grumble"
on the radio after the match is over.
Hope all goes well today for you NE 21 x

Tessar
01-02-14, 15:52
oh dear, i have just seen the newcastle result, peter :weep: commiserations.
oh my goodness; stoke are beating man u!!! :scared15:
i'm hoping for a good result for Saints today; we did really well against arsenal in the week. c'mon!!!!!! 0-0 at the mo. cant belie:lac:ve Swansea lost to west ham

Rennie1989
01-02-14, 16:40
Hubby is not happy that Man U are losing to Stoke but the household is very happy for Southampton, 3-0! Probably because Osvaldo is not around to headbutt anyone.

Annie0904
01-02-14, 18:10
Oh dear Peter, I had better send you some hugs today :hugs::hugs::hugs:
Tessar your team did well :)
I hope Liverpool do well tomorrow.

Tessar
01-02-14, 18:25
haa haa haa ho ho ho manu lost!!!! he he he. yes annie we did very well.

Annie0904
01-02-14, 18:26
haa haa haa ho ho ho manu lost!!!! he he he
:roflmao:

Rennie1989
01-02-14, 20:13
Goodbye, Mr Moyes!

Tessar
01-02-14, 22:37
If Man U are smart, they won't sack him. Saints were relegated when Mcmenemy took over but they stuck by him & we did really well for years after. In this day & age I doubt very much if they will keep moyes. Is ferguson still going to the matches?

Magic
02-02-14, 10:02
Yes Yes!! Stoke beat Man U. Never expected that. Good one Stoke
Keep it up :D

Rennie1989
02-02-14, 10:44
I think he still attends every match, Tessar, he works for the board.

NE21 worrier
02-02-14, 11:08
I'm feeling masses of adrenaline, hopefully won't punch any horses:D, hopefully won't lose 3-0 again.

The morning after the day before then. Can't quite believe I posted that. Dreadful day on Tyneside. Again.

Apparently, there were bits of trouble on the Bigg Market (some yobs chucking bricks at police) but that place is generally a bit of a hellhole on a Saturday night anyway.

I did stay in town after the match, but I also stayed out of trouble. I'm 9.5st so I'm not going to go around starting to pick pointless fights like some idiots.

Anyway, on topic: on the anxiety front, I did very well, much better than in the corresponding fixture last year which came at the height of my own troubles. The adrenaline surge before the match was predictable but, bizarrely, I was glad it was there and seemed to get a kick out of it.

True, I didn't eat very much during the morning/afternoon (just a chocolate bar and some crisps), but I made up for it by soaking up some of the drowned sorrows with a massive pizza in a two-course meal.

All in all, another good day out with friends. If you forget the football bit...

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

If Man U are smart, they won't sack him. Saints were relegated when Mcmenemy took over but they stuck by him & we did really well for years after. In this day & age I doubt very much if they will keep moyes. Is ferguson still going to the matches?

(Completely off-topic re: anxiety but a few of my thoughts)

I think Man United are obliged to give Moyes more time, considering the six-year contract they gave him, and the precedent they set years ago with Fergie.

This season is seen as a bit of a write-off, I would think - even top four looks a difficult proposition if Liverpool continue to play well and go nine clear today. But, while the hit of one season outside of the hallowed Champions League can probably be taken, Moyes knows this can't go on similarly next season or else there will be some genuine pressure from within the club, I would think.

As well as he did at Everton over the years, he needs to become far less cautious tactically to succeed at Old Trafford. There have been times when I have watched Man Utd this season and they've barely been able to keep the ball, and only had one or two in the box. Put simply: Fergie teams were feared, Moyes's are not - and yes, as far as I am aware, Fergie watches on from a directors' seat.

marlowe78
21-04-14, 03:03
Apologies for another bump of this thread. I'm new to the forum and I've had to deal with a similar issue lately that is really depressing me.

I have always been highly-strung with anxiety and been known to take things 'too seriously.' I have calmed down a bit over the years but recently I started experiencing panic attacks. I've had three over the past two months and it got to the point where I was reluctant to go outside but I pushed through it.

Anyway, I've always loved sports as a spectator but it's gotten to a point where I wonder if I need to give all of it up. If I support a club/team, I do so passionately and I need to watch every game that it plays. I want so badly for them to play well that I've always felt very anxious when watching them, even though I'm fully aware that I can't do anything to affect the outcome.

In the past, I've experienced a fast heartbeat when a game is close in the late stages and the outcome isn't certain. But after experiencing the panic attacks (which were unrelated to this), I'm at a point where I can hardly watch at all. When I switch on the television to watch, just seeing players on the pitch/ice/court will itself make me uptight and my heart begins to pound. I've tried to soldier through it a couple of times, but I'm afraid of doing damage to my system and usually turn it off and watch it in replay later on in the day.

I'm really sick of feeling like this. I'm aware that it's just a game but it's something I've always enjoyed being a part of and I really don't want to start running away from things when I should confront them. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as part of their anxiety issues and if there's something I can do to deal with it (assoc. football, BTW, is one of the sports I follow). Thx

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-14, 05:46
Marlowe78,

I can understand what you are saying because when I was at my worst point with GAD, I would find that TV would set me off, especially action or any tension in dramas like crime ones. I don't get this at all now though because whilst I'm still tackling my anxieties, I've moved on from that particular stage.

You are right that you shouldn't resort to avoidance. So, you can either tackle it head on by exposing yourself to it in a controlled manner so as to habituate yourself to it or you could attack it from the flank by trying to become less anxious overall. I used the latter because the TV wasn't really an issue, it just became one as my anxiety got out of control. The more you avoid, the harder it is to come back later.

There is information about how to expose yourself in a controlled manner that use thought diaries, exposure hierachies, etc. I can post a guide if you need one which talks about panic. It also contains information on challenging negative thoughts, which might be useful to you.

If you go the indirect route, you want to look at ways to make you relax more and a big one for me was Mindfulness meditation.

Excitement & anxiety have similiar physical sensations so once you experience real panic, you are afraid of tipping the balance and moving from exciting to panicked.

marlowe78
21-04-14, 15:15
Thank you for writing. I think the guide would be very helpful and would really appreciate it.

I find it interesting what you say about excitement because I've found that even when I'm excited in a cheerful or happy way, I still get anxiety. My body seems to react in the exact same way as when I'm nervous or upset. Any kind of excess emotion throws my entire system off course.

Catherine S
21-04-14, 16:12
What surprises me is the amount of people who think having these symptoms in situations where you would expect to have them is an illness! A pumping heart, breathlessness etc when you are sitting quietly or on the point of sleep day after day might lead you to seek help, but in the middle of a loud, cheering crowd? Why would people seek out help and guidance for what are normal bodily reactions? You're watching an exciting movie, football game, concert...how would you expect feel exactly :huh:

ankietyjoe
21-04-14, 16:46
I can't anything to this other than to thank the OP for giving me another reason not to care about football :shades: