PDA

View Full Version : This Pregabalin Seems Good!

Edie
24-08-13, 13:07
I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe me Pregabalin for anxiety. I also have some fibromyalgia-type pain, that I've heard it can also help with (my diagnosis is currently ME/CFS, but my GP suspects fibrolmyalgia and I am awaiting a referral appointment). I seem to have a really bad reaction to all antidepressants, so it was with reluctance that I considered meds at all, but Pregabalin is a totally different kind of drug so I was willing to give it a go.

Well I have been taking it for 12 days now, 2 x 75mg per day. I take one tablet in the morning and another at lunchtime.

Surprisingly I am having NO side effects at all, although weight gain may be more gradual so might still happen - but then I have trouble maintaining my weight due to my IBS and minor weight gain would probably actually be a good thing!

I have noticed an immediate reduction in my anxiety and pain levels. I have more energy and am more productive. I have found it easier to maintain a sensible routine, and have been going to bed at sensible times and getting a good sleep. Morning have always been a serious problem for me, but I've been up at 8am every day since starting the Pregabalin. It's not known to help with depression, so that can't have been the cause of my previous disorganisation, but whatever the cause was, the Pregabalin seems to be helping!

hanshan
24-08-13, 21:11
So good to hear that pregabalin is helping you. It doesn't always work so well for everyone so quickly, but when it does the change can feel quite dramatic. Make sure to tell your doctor - they're very cautious creatures, but will eventually come on board if patients give positive feedback.

SarahH
25-08-13, 12:27
Good news!!! I too find pregabalin brilliant.......

Sarah

Edie
04-09-13, 17:24
My do tor said pregabalin was very expensive, so she would like to see significant results if I am to stay on it long term. I have an appointment tomorrow, when I hope to persuade her to allow me to continue.

I am having no side effects at all, though I realise weight gain may take longer to become evident - I do not weigh myself regularly, and will only notice if my trousers start to feel tight! But I'm not having anything nasty that pregabalin can commonly cause.

I am feeling considerably less pain, but the effects on anxiety are milder. I am feeling less foggy, more productive, more alert, more able to maintain sensible routines with sleep (something I struggle with hugely), and feel more awake. I suppose I could let her put those down to anxiety, although personally I feel they are related to the ME/fibromyalgia. Anyway, I think I need to write this down for the doctor so I don't forget tomorrow!

I am feeling more confident now about returning to college in 3 weeks' time, and hopefully not struggling as much as I did last year. I just hope I can continue with the pregabalin.

chl_hobbs
05-09-13, 07:32
Ive had a lot of chest pain in the past 6 weeks and huge anxiety. The drs are exploring the chest pain but my gp has asked me to retry pregabalin as i did so well on it last year. Ive been on 25mg for 3 days now and havent noticed much improvement at all :( still having chest pains and am on edge as i keep thinking i have angina and am having a heart attqck :(

Edie
05-09-13, 10:23
Yay, the GP has put my pregabalin on repeat :)

I'm sorry it's not helping you yet, chl_hobbs, I hope it kicks in soon. The fact it worked for you before means it probably will again.

Edie
09-10-13, 16:44
Things are still going well with the Pregabalin.

I had my appointment with the rhaumatologist who says it's probably fibromyalgia, but I had some blood tests to rule out other things. I'll get my results at my next appointment, but it's looking like fibromyalgia.

The rheumatologist has increased my Pregabalin to 200mg per day, with a view to further increasing to 300mg per day in about a month. I guess she's told my GP this, as I don't go back to the rheumatologist for longer than a month. I'll see what turns up when I put in a repeat request!

I haven't put on any weight according to my scales, but I have grown out of one pair of trousers. They were already pretty tight, but I can't get them on now. So I'm going to donate them back to the charity shop I bought them from! So there must have been a little bit of weight gain, but it's very minor. Certainly worth putting up with for the benefits I'm getting from the Pregabalin.

Otter13
09-10-13, 17:04
It's really great to hear you are doing well on this. I've just been prescribed it too so I'm crossing my fingers for it to work and not make me too fat! I also have bad reactions to lots of meds so this really gives me hope. Thank you for posting. :D