PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo/Labyrinthitis?

Daisy Sue
24-08-13, 23:12
Has anyone had either of these conditions diagnosed?

I'm confused (nothing new there then, lol).. I had a bad ear infection 4 weeks ago, resulted in a perforated eardrum... took antibiotics & felt loads better.

Then out of the blue 2 days ago, got a cracking headache which worsened despite painkillers, woke up yesterday with the worst dizziness I can remember. I felt like I'd just stepped off a fairground ride. Felt nauseas too, & the headache was lurking still, & weird pain in my eye sockets & visual disturbance.

It carried on all day, so saw the out of hours doc, who diagnosed vertigo, & gave me Stemetil. I had one dose of it, then went to sleep until this morning.

Woke up fine! Really weird, after such a poorly day yesterday, I'm back to more or less normal today, just a stuffy feeling in my ears.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Reading up, it actually sounds more like labyrinthitis than vertigo to me, especially with the recent ear infection issue.

Speranza
25-08-13, 10:28
Yes, I think you are probably right. I had a major ear infection the other month with no idea until the doctor checked them. Since then my tinnitus has been really loud. Ears are funny old things!

celticlass62
25-08-13, 11:29
Hi daisy
my son has had the same as yourself. it started off as a bad ear infection.
so he got stemietil and they worked for him .
he was so unsteady on his feet and felt very sick and dizzy all the time.
hope you feel better very soon
lots of love
celticlass xxxxx :hugs::hugs:

Speranza
25-08-13, 11:30
I once had a brain scan for acoustic neuroma which turned out to be (I think) very bad labrynthitis. It is a scary thing isn't it!

Daisy Sue
25-08-13, 12:04
Yes, I think you are probably right. I had a major ear infection the other month with no idea until the doctor checked them. Since then my tinnitus has been really loud. Ears are funny old things!

Oh yes! I have a degree of that anyway, but the last couple of days & nights it's been like having Hissing Sid residing inside my head!

Still a bit wonky today.. think I might go see our own GP after the bank holiday.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Hi daisy
my son has had the same as yourself. it started off as a bad ear infection.
so he got stemietil and they worked for him .
he was so unsteady on his feet and felt very sick and dizzy all the time.
hope you feel better very soon
lots of love
celticlass xxxxx :hugs::hugs:

Aw your poor son, it's scary enough when you're an adult! I'm glad to hear the Stemetil helped him.

ddonaghey1989
25-08-13, 22:51
labrynthitis lasts longer than that. you would also have some hearing loss or tinnitus. its normally caused by a virus. stemetil is just to mask the symptoms it doesnt cure it. not sure what caused your vertigo but thats what i no about labs. hope you feel better soon. ive been dizzy 8 months :( xxx

Daisy Sue
25-08-13, 23:10
labrynthitis lasts longer than that. you would also have some hearing loss or tinnitus. its normally caused by a virus. stemetil is just to mask the symptoms it doesnt cure it. not sure what caused your vertigo but thats what i no about labs. hope you feel better soon. ive been dizzy 8 months :( xxx

Thanks :) I'm still a bit 'off' today, but nowhere near as bad as the other day. I do have some hearing loss, and hissing in my ears, especially when the room's quiet.

I really feel for you, having it for so long! Can't your GP sort out what's happening? Or is it anxiety related?

ddonaghey1989
26-08-13, 09:27
i seen an ent as i thought i had vestibular neuritis which is the same as labs without the hearing problems. he explained that its usually a sudden onset of spinning vertigo that lasts a few days and then u feel drunk for another while and then unbalanced for months after. mine was a gradual onset that left me in bed for a week. everything was moving not spinning. felt like i was on a boat 24/7 and the ground felt like cotton wool. seen a neurologist im all fine there. so my gp thinks its anxiety related but im not sure it does make it worse bt there was nothing streasful that triggered it just the vomiting bug. ive slowly been getting better but i just want to feel normal xx

cokesmyth5
26-08-13, 09:50
I feel for you, I really do. I've had a couple of episodes of labyrinthitis - one of my biggest problems was the nausea when upright and keeping food/liquid down. Tablets from doc helped but the whole thing made me quite anxious - such a miserable feeling and a slow slow recovery. I do hope you continue to improve steadily.
Take care

ddonaghey1989
27-08-13, 10:49
hi cokesmyth5 how long did it take to recover from your first episode of labs?

chasingdogma
27-08-13, 20:42
I wake up with vertigo once every few months or so, but I believe it has to do with my using a CPAP machine to sleep. The machine blows air up into my sinus areas and sometimes my Eustachian tubes...thus screwing up my inner ear balance. It's scary as all hell to have a dream where the world starts spinning and then you wake up and it is still in motion! Luckily it goes away after 20 mins or so.