PDA

View Full Version : Getting admitted to hospital?

NumbForest
25-08-13, 02:18
I am desperate. I have been pushed from pillar to post for the last 10 years trying to get help and as of yet nothing has transpired. I am now at my worst. I don't cook or clean, I completely neglect myself, I have thoughts of suicide and self harm. I am begninng to become seriously paranoid (if I am on my own at night I am completely convinced someone is going to come and they will kill me). I started a task list today for a daily routine and that alone made me feel suicidal because it feels impossible to fulfil and they really are simple tasks. I am now to the point that something desperately has to change. I want to get myself admitted to hospital as I honestly believe this is the only way now I will get help. My question is, has anyone had experience getting themselves admitted and if so, how?

AuntieMoosie
25-08-13, 03:28
I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time hun.

It does sound like you're in need of help right now before you get any worse.

Your area should have what's called a "a mental health crisis team" if you look for your local health authority then look under mental health services, their number should be there.

Or you can go and see your GP and have them refer you on to the mental health team.

Or you can go to your nearest A&E department, explain how unwell you are and they will get someone from the mental health team to assess you, it could be a doctor or a mental health nurse.

Please do not harm yourself, this will pass, it always does.

If you're feeling desperate now, go to your A&E or telephone your out of hours GP's service, they will be able to help you.

Please let us know how you get on hun :hugs:

Daisy Sue
25-08-13, 08:24
There's not much I can add to what Auntie Moosie has said.

You're not alone, even if you feel like you are right now. As soon as you tell any professional how bad things are, the wheels will be set in motion to get you some help.

You've taken the first step by coming here and admitting you need help - well done - now take the next step and contact somebody. And don't feel hopeless, you can come back from this, with the right support.

cokesmyth5
25-08-13, 08:49
Brave you for coming to a decision that means stepping into the unknown.
I have admitted myself to the Priory more than once for depression and anxiety and never regretted it because it was the move needed to start recovery,
All the very best

ElizabethJane
25-08-13, 09:54
Priory will cost £5.000 a week for an inpatient stay. That is before any therapies or treatment or seeing your consultant. If you have medical insurance they might pay but there are restrictions on psychiatric treatment now. I have had in patient treatment at the Priory and it was very good but hubs has medical insurance. EJ

cokesmyth5
25-08-13, 10:18
Elizabeth Jane
I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't recommending The Priory as an option, just using it to say it's a big decision to ask to be admitted,also scary, but for me was a step well worth taking.

steveo
25-08-13, 11:30
I'm in hospital now. It's not that bad. If I wasn't dragged here, I never would've come here in a million years but now I'm here, I'm glad I am in a way.

Need to add that I'm not in a Priory hospital but an NHS hospital.

ElizabethJane
25-08-13, 13:43
Elizabeth Jane
I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't recommending The Priory as an option, just using it to say it's a big decision to ask to be admitted,also scary, but for me was a step well worth taking.

That is ok. I had to make the point that you can't turn up at the Priory and ask to go in as an inpatient. I have been an inpatient in four different hospital including the Priory unless you have a lot of money.

Each time the decision was made for me. I think that current thinking is to keep people in the community with the crisis team visiting if at all possible. EJ

NumbForest
25-08-13, 23:01
The problem I have had is the community team here are a pile of poop. I have struggled to get them to listen for over 8 years and I am to the point now that I know I am not coping. I have been told of a way to get myself sectioned but that's the last thing I want. I just think I need to go into hospital so they can see what is happening with me. I think I need some time to recover, I'm just not sure how to go about getting there :/

Daisy Sue
25-08-13, 23:08
The problem I have had is the community team here are a pile of poop. I have struggled to get them to listen for over 8 years and I am to the point now that I know I am not coping. I have been told of a way to get myself sectioned but that's the last thing I want. I just think I need to go into hospital so they can see what is happening with me. I think I need some time to recover, I'm just not sure how to go about getting there :/

Ok, so is there anyone you trust? A GP, or a nurse at your practice? Or even a social worker/welfare worker... Anyone who can act on your behalf professionally, & make the right arrangements for you.

anx mum
25-08-13, 23:08
Hi yeah u need some help your very brave admitted that you can ask your gp to get in touch with the crisis team there the ones that will admit you just say you cant cope how u feel they will help you and sort out any meds your on stay strong:hugs:

AuntieMoosie
25-08-13, 23:43
The problem is that there is really no quick route to being admitted to hospital, there are very few hospital beds now as health authorities like to have patients treated in their own homes if at all possible.

I really wouldn't recommend you getting yourself sectioned, and that sounds easier said than done anyway. You would still have to be assessed and it would be after your assessment that a decision would be made and that goes for a voluntary patient and a sectioned one.

Is it the actual crisis team that you've had in the past, they are the one's who will come to see you when you're in crises, they would then be able to assess whether they think they can manage you at home or not.

Do you live on your own hun?? Have you any support there with you in the form of family/friends or a partner??

All I can advise is what I've already suggested really, there's no quick and easy way to do this now.

Perhaps if you went to A&E, you would get to be assessed by a psychiatrist or one of the psychiatric team of doctors, then you can explain exactly how unwell you're feeling and that you don't feel like you can cope at home anymore.

I do hope you can sort something out soon though :hugs:

NumbForest
25-08-13, 23:52
I want to look into getting a social worker but not sure how to go about doing this. I know I need someone to get me what I need but when no one seems to believe me the whole things seems impossible.

Daisy Sue
26-08-13, 00:00
Just type into Google, Adult Social Care, followed by the town you live in.. there'll be a central contact number.. if you just ring & ask for advice (probably no-one there till Tuesday now), I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction.

NumbForest
26-08-13, 00:34
I do have one GP at my practise that I have just started seeing and she seems to be pretty understanding. I may ring the crisis team tomorrow, but not sure I can do anything till after Tuesday anyway. My mum also suffers with mental health issues and I have to go to her docs and psych appointment with her on Tuesday so don't want to let her down. I have now found I have started self medicating and that's not a good road to go down. I just want someone to take me seriously. Atm if anyone came to my home they would think I cope fine :/. I stayed at my parents for threee weeks while my mum and dad cleaned my flat and made it habitable again. I just want to get better and be well and live a normal life. I'm 27 and have to depend on my parents. Even they know that if they move towns they will have to allow me to move in with them as I would not cope alone. I just want to be like other 27 year olds who cook and clean for themselves. Sorry for the constant moaning and thank you all for your replies they honestly mean a lot :)

Daisy Sue
26-08-13, 00:41
:) You're welcome.. I really hope you get on the right track soon.

While you're waiting to get in touch with someone, it might be an idea to write everything down.. how things really are, what help you need from other people, how you're feeling & thinking. It doesn't matter how many pages you fill - it will give the doctor or whoever you see a real insight, rather than you have to remember everything on the day.

flossie
26-08-13, 11:44
Hi. You say that you have an understanding GP. Very often it is impossible to talk about exactly how you are feeling and how difficult it is to cope in the short time allowed for a consultation. You could write to your GP explaining what you are finding hard to cope with and how you are wondering if a stay in hospital might help you. Make an appointment for a week later and go and see her. This way she is fully informed about your worries before you go and will have had time to consider the options she feels best for you whether it be in hospital or extra support at home.
Do you have a local MIND you could get in touch with?
Good luck.

Seth86
28-08-13, 17:55
I tried getting myself admitted into a mental health hospice but my GP and occupational therapist said i'd go in and come straight back out because i'm not insane(or something to that affect) I'm finding it extremely hard to try and live my life at the moment and feel that if i don't get admitted i'll probably commit suicide! I'm in a life where i can't concentrate on getting better because there's so much going on around me it sounds that you are in the same position as me.