PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

sxalabarde
21-10-06, 11:43
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I have started CBT with a really good therapit. It is costing me a fortune that I don't have, but this is my main priority at the moment, and I have decided to do whatever needs to be done. If this can cure me, then money and how I will afford it is a relatively minor matter that will come next.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of what this guy has got me doing, in case it is of use to anyone. First of all, he thinks the hypochondria would disappear if I stopped: finding out about illnesses, getting reassured by anybody (this is a hard one I know) and checking things that worry me (this is a really hard one).

We have agreed, in order to start gently, that Internet symptom browsing is off the menu altogether, I can only check something again two weeks after its first appearance, and I have to keep a written record of each time I seek reassurance and in what way.

This is hard stuff and basically means that I need to learn to tolerate the anxiety, and then I will see it leave of its own accord. He says about 90% of those who follow the programme get cured. I'm optimistic. I'm definitely going to do it although I know sometimes it will be difficult.

What do you guys think?

Mel

saintdee
21-10-06, 12:43
hiya, i have thought bout cbt but think that my mind is to powerful and distructive to be helped by anything, im a hypercondriac and really bad right now.

Gemstone
22-10-06, 00:18
Mel, that sounds really hard. I can see how not looking things up on the net would help, but not getting reassurance from anyone?.........that's the only thing that helps me right now, so I would find that really hard.

Can I just say well done for taking the step of starting CBT, especially as it's costing money you can't afford. That shows real committment, which has got to help in your treatment.

Good luck, let us know how you get on....it's been interesting to read your post.

sophieunderscore
22-10-06, 00:30
Breaking the cycle (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11562)

I posted this a while back - it tells you the importance of stopping reassurance, i hope it makes things a little clearer x

Gemstone
22-10-06, 00:51
Sophie, thanks for posting that link. I've had a read of it and it's given me food for thought.

I'm not sure if I disagree with it, or if I am simply in denial about it.

The reassurance I need is not someone (eg the doctor) telling me I haven't got a particular illness. The reassurance I need is information to help me work out for myself that my symptoms aren't the symptoms of a terrible condition. I need help with forming that sort of logic.........is that the kind of reassurance that is meant, do you think?

If so, it has just blown my latest plan for helping myself.:(

cassie141
22-10-06, 09:49
I have had CBT and it really helped me. I think the thing about stopping seeking rassurance/internet browsing is mainly because you want to focus on you and how poerful you actually are. I learnt to recognise how subtley my negative thoughts worked against me and how to put a stop to then by positive thinking. It takes time but it helps you build a firm foundation from which you can build your confidence up and see what a strong person you really are. Everyone that visits No More Panic are strong people because they deal with this on a daily basis yet still support and give comfort to everyone here, as well as their own families, gong on with their daily lives. Good luck, XX

piglits pal
22-10-06, 13:25
I've been told by my CBT therapist to stop seeking reassurance too. It's really, really hard to break that habit and yes you do just have to live with and fight the anxiety. It's horrible but it gets better.

And thanks for that link - I've just ordered the book recommended there.

richieshealth
07-10-08, 21:34
Hello. I was referred for CBT about 6 months ago I finished it in august. The therapist advised all what you and the other posts have mentioned. Reassurance seeking, info gathering, comparing the intensity of one anxiety against another i.e my health against the worry of getting on a plane, acting as a therapist to myself and writing down how i would advise someone else with the same problem etc...etc.. Just to say this was through the NHS and quite simple to get referred, so you don't need to be paying for the same advice. Your doc's lack of interest is costing you your hard eraned cash. Anyway the therapy was not intense enough to rid me of doubts, I still feel i need reassurance and think it's how the it's convayed and how i digest it that will help. After 2 months now the therapy has stopped I tried to carry on as normal but I'm still not right, so I've been back to the doctors. She suggested the possability of medication, I've got to go back to see her, to dicuss further. One think I will not be doing is taking pills(NO WAY)

flowerUK
17-10-09, 20:36
Hi I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place! I'm due to go for CBT for the first time next week and I'm really nervous about it so thanks this gives me some reassurance as I was a bit skeptical if it would work for me.