PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms intensified at night

TheScript
25-08-13, 21:44
I know i've made a post about this before, but i'm still struggling with this. During the day i feel some background anxiety, but very mild. And i can quite easily deal with it.

Then when it hits evening/night time and it starts getting dark, my anxiety and symptoms intensify alot. I get a very strong nervous feeling in my stomach, sweaty hands, fast heartbeat, a sort of 'doom feeling' - like something bad could happen, feeling really out of it, dizzy, sweaty, hot flushes and my thoughts are all over the place. I feel so uncomfortable at evening time, and 9 out of 10 of my panic attacks have been at this time.

In the morning i'm fine again. I'm so confused, what can i do about this?

Jonquil
26-08-13, 14:06
Hi, Have you talked to your doctor about this. In the past I have had some symptoms at night that sound similar and that was depression rather than anxiety as such.
J x

My_Labyrinth
26-08-13, 16:04
Hi There,

I know how you feel. I have mentioned this to my psychiatrist recently, and he informed me that it is because there is less stimulation going on, less to distract you. At night, it gets dark, quite and when you are lying in bed, well your brain has nothing to focus on except your thoughts, which can be quite scary and intensify your anxiety.

What I found to help with me, is to read before I go to sleep, or maybe watching a movie, keeping my mind of well, everything else. I also when I am really anxious I put on relaxing music quietly and sleep with that on.

I am also prone to anxiety nightmares and I have find that not having too many blankets, being too warmly dressed or having anything tight fitted on and around you also helps.

I can also recommend camomile tea before bed, it has a natural calming effect.

I would also as mentioned above discuss this with your doctor, maybe he/she can give you some medication to help you sleep and be more relaxed at night, if need be.

Good luck :hugs:

Pete_uk
26-08-13, 17:46
I find listening to some hypnotherapy quietly through headphones (you may not need to use headphones but I do to keep outside noises out) which, while focusing the mind it does so in such a subtle way that helps me to go to sleep. I've always found listening to people talking quietly to be quite sleep inducing!

ddonaghey1989
27-08-13, 10:51
im the same. as soon as i start closing the curtains and things at night when the kids go to bed i start feeling nervous, feel sick and unbalanced. i was wondering why this is x