PDA

View Full Version : Reoccuring Thoughts About Heart Attack

Detrimindexta
26-08-13, 03:42
I can't seem to get out of this trap. It's been plaguing me for over a year now, leaving me unable to work. My parents are mad at me right now because they think I'm just being "lazy" and not really sick.

I've taken medications given to me by my doctors, but it only worked for a few weeks, tell me to stop it, then be back by the 2nd or 3rd week.

I don't know what should I do right now.

saab
26-08-13, 09:45
Try reading cbt books like Stop Thinking Start Living by Richard Carlson. They will help you to think more logically about your health and stop negative thinking.

Heart disease is actually very rare in people under 40. The best thing you can do is eat a heart healthy diet, start with gentle exercise, and work on overcoming your anxiety.

I sometimes watch shows like 'Fat - the Fight of my Life' on Sky. Some of the people on that show weigh 30 st or more and are in their 40's or older. They don't have heart problems and exercise really intensely. If you are younger then its unlikely you have a heart problem, but I would guess you have had a relative who has had a heart attack, or seen a show or article that has frightened you.

One cbt exercise is to make a list of your fears, then write a logical response. Eg.

I think I will have a heart attack ------' I am xx years old, which means I am low risk
...... list more reasons

I think I have symptoms like xxxxxx............. these are also symptoms of anxiety and indigestion. More likely to be that than my heart.

Obviously, if you have physical symptoms like palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness etc. you should see your GP to rule out any physical issues, though these can be symptoms of panic and anxiety too. I hope you feel better soon.