PDA

View Full Version : Beat anxiety using Goal Setting

AnxietyReliefSuccess
26-08-13, 12:17
Hi all,

The other month I came to this forum to ask for some feedback on a pilot episode I created for a new series on You Tube. The series is used to show the journey I took from a worrier, to the current day where I no longer suffer from anxiety. Each episode explains one of the successful techniques I used along the way. I received lots of praise for my work on the pilot, so I just wanted to let you know about the release of my first episode. The technique I focus on in this episode is ‘Goal Setting’.

If you did not watch the pilot I would just like to point out that each video is under 4 minutes and is professionally made with your recovery in mind. As before all feedback would be greatly appreciated and for those of you who asked, yes my dog will make an appearance. The video is of relaxing scenery I filmed with a commentary over the top explaining how I used goal setting to help me escape the grasp anxiety once had on my life.

The commentary in each episode focuses only on my recovery and not about the time when I suffered. We all know what the symptoms are and the idea of the videos is to “Stop Feeding the Worry and Start Feeding the Recovery”. Simply go to YouTube and type in:

Anxiety and Goal Setting (SFTWASFTR Series)

Many thanks and please subscribe :D

rockydog
26-08-13, 17:46
will take a look :)

AnxietyReliefSuccess
27-08-13, 19:26
Thank you :)

rockydog
27-08-13, 20:35
I am not sure I totally understand it. ;)

AnxietyReliefSuccess
29-08-13, 20:48
What did you not understand? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

rockydog
29-08-13, 22:49
I didn't really understand how setting yourself goals or tasks would help with symptoms you may have daily like dizziness and disorientation or vertigo type symptoms where the whole room seems to spin or the pavements go up and down like a bouncy castle ? Accomplishing eating five fruit and veg a day or finishing a book just wouldn't help, partly because it's hard to even focus when you have those sort of symptoms? I don't mean that rudely I am always interested to hear how people recovered ;) and I am not necessarily suffering with the above symptoms now, just interested to hear an explanation .. cheers

Kenna5027
30-08-13, 18:01
I think it's a good video - I think one of the reasons it can be confusing, especially as a starter video, is that you are oddly specific talking about setting goals for cycling instead of how setting goals relates directly to anxiety. I think those examples could come in later videos to make more sense.

BUT I really did enjoy it, and I love the message that I took away from it. I think it's important to analyze exactly what in life is making us anxious, and come up with goals and plans to alleviate that anxiety. It's HARD sometimes, we all know that - and often it seems (at least to me) that there is not perfect solution, but taking things one step at a time and seeing how they work out is key.

As for how it can help with dizziness, vertigo, or other symptoms - for me (and I have health anxiety as well as general and panic attacks) one of the best ways to alleviate my symptoms is to recognize that they are not going to hurt me and to, essentially, begin to ignore them and live life around them. It's not easy with dizziness or vertigo or depersonalization, but that's where goals come in. Telling yourself that you can get up and do just one task, or two tasks, while not thinking about your symptoms, is huge. Eventually, it spreads and you are able to slowly move on.

Coupling that thought with tackling other things that make you anxious (and no doubt contribute to those feelings) may seem really, really hard but is probably worth it.