PDA

View Full Version : really embarrassing question...

HB
30-06-04, 23:17
Ok well this is a really really embarrassing question but how do I know when im going to be sick?

As most of you know i have a phobia of me vomitting and other people being sick, troube is, because i have avoided being sick for over 14 years, i no longer know how it feels.

I feel as though i need to have this knowledge for some reason... I couldnt even tell you why.

I really hope i havent come across as really silly [Sigh...]

H

Caitlyn89
30-06-04, 23:41
HB,

Im not sure how you know your going to be sick because to be honest i dont either lol. Everyone seems to do it so much they can get to the bathroom in time...i never do .... i just know about 5-6 seconds BEFORE of vomit i burp....this is partially responsible why other then those times i have rarely if ever burped in my life.

HB
30-06-04, 23:44
i very rarely burp either untill i was told that it can make you ill!!! i dont really believe that but i am always careful when i do have to burp in case i amsick just like you!!!

H

Caitlyn89
30-06-04, 23:47
lol.....i am scared basically because everytime i had gotten sick (3 in total) i have burped before.

sal
01-07-04, 00:58
Hi HB

Know been sick must be a big disability to you. Dont actually suffer it myself, but my 9 year old daughter does and know watching her suffer is enough to send me into panic. Got no major advice for you but all the support you need hon

Love Sal xxx[:P][Yeah!]

HB
02-07-04, 15:17
Thanks sal,

All i need basically is someone who can tell me exactly what being sick is like and whether it really is as bad as i see it to be :-(

H

twister
02-07-04, 15:50
I used to have a phobia of being sick and to some extent I still do as in when I am anxious I worry about it still. I have been sick in the last few years and it is nowhere near as bad as you think.

Basically you just feel sick for a bit, then you know you are about to be sick when a horrible watery substance fills your mouth, then you are sick and then you feel better! That's really all there is to it. Horrible for the minute whilst it happens and then fine.

I dont think you are actually afraid of the vomiting more the loss of control - I worry when i am panicky that I will be sick in public and get in trouble.....

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

HB
03-07-04, 12:42
i am more scared of others being sick because i really cant control that but i also hate the fact of having somethihgnthat tastes horrible in my mouth

H

Rennie1989
03-07-04, 13:39
i h8 it wen im sick coz u cant breath, i nearly passed out once!!!!

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

HB
04-07-04, 16:05
oh gosh, do you really feel like you cant breathe?

H

Rennie1989
04-07-04, 16:25
sumtimes i do coz wen u vomitt u automaticly stop breathin till u stop vomitting

IT WAS HORRIBLE

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

Caz Fab Pants
04-07-04, 19:42
Scooter Girl, perhaps not one of your better posts! [:I]

Of course you can breath, dont ask me how, you just do. No one has ever died from lack of oxygen through vomiting I'm sure. Unless of course they're unconsious and choke on the vomit.

Being sick is REALLY horrible I know but your body only does it to keep you healthy (usually) and to get rid of something that is bad.

Caroline
x

Meg
04-07-04, 20:15
AS breathing and eating and thus vomiting, share the upper part of the throat, there is a superb mechanism stopping the two meeting.

We can all eat and breathe extremely naturally simultaneously so it is exactly the same in reverse ...

We do not stop breathing , its just timed breathing.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

HB
06-07-04, 20:18
thankyou everyone, you worried me there Jade! wish i hadnt asked this quetion, making my anxiety worse in a way :-(

H

seh1980
10-07-04, 21:04
hello there,
It's hard to describe what I feel when I'm going to be sick - my tummy feels upset and like everything inside is going round and round. I admit, being sick isn't very pleasant but it's not that bad. the good thing about it is that you always feel much better afterwards. It normally happens because your body has to get rid of something for some reason (like when you have had too much to drink, your body vomits some of it up so that you don't have enough alcohol in your system to harm you). So, you should really think about it as something your body does to keep you healthy!!! Hope this helps. Take care.
Sarah (seh1980):D

grace
10-07-04, 21:54
hi helen,
as a recovering bulimic i can tell you that i made myself sick everyday for years and im ok.....
not that im advocating it but i never stopped breathing, never fainted.
but on a more natural note, your body makes you be sick to get rid of something that isnt good for you, so it must be a good thing.

xxx grace

mico
10-07-04, 22:36
Hi H

I don't really have a phobia of sickness, although I do sometimes feel sick when I'm anxious along with all the usuall thoughts, "Oh no!!! This is going to be terrible!!!!", so I can kind of relate to how you feel in a way as my thoughts sometimes get a little carried away with the idea.

What I can tell you though, is the times I have been sick (never through anxiety) I've found that it isn't really that bad! I think it's just the thought of it that makes most people fear it. I know I said I didn't have a phobia, but most of the time I really dread the thought of getting ill and being sick, it's just one of those things that when happens is a complete anti-climax. People are probably going to think I'm mad for saying this, I'll probably lose my good reputation too :D but on occasion I kind of remember enjoying the experience!! [:I] It's not something I do for fun or anything, but it does make you feel an awful lot better when you've had one too many on friday night! ;)

HB
24-07-04, 14:17
oh gosh, thanks everyone!! i know it was a silly question to ask but it is a big deal to me.

H

lilac kitten
28-07-04, 12:22
HB

not a silly question at all. About two weeks ago my son who is only six said he was feeling sick and possibly going to be sick - apart from once he made the bowl/bathroom everytime - good lad. Then guess what - yep I got the tummy virus too. I woke feeling not particularly too sick, but went and laid downstairs on my own anyway. I usually pace the floorboards and try not to be sick, but I took my therapists advice and just relaxed. It was hard but I managed it.

It was hard knowing exactly when I was going to be sick, and I made several false runs to the sink, but I guess better safe than sorry. But one thing I do know is, and I remember this from my terrible pregnancy sickness, that your mouth starts to fill with saliva - to protect your mouth and teeth I guess. The rest I guess is down to your bodys own senses and being better safe than sorry.

And as for those people who just get on with it and make the bathroom everytime and just carry on working and as though nothing is wrong - well leave them to it. Me? I take to the comfort of my own home and wait until it passes. My worst experience was driving all the way to Donnington Rock festival only to come down with some sort of food related tummy upset whilst camping in the middle of a field. My poor boyfriend at the time had to look after me (he was brilliant) and we both missed the festival the next day as I wanted to come home.

I havn't really answered your question except to say that I totally know how you feel and what frightens me is being sick in public where there are no bushes or toilets or trees to hide behind!! I always carry plastic bags in my handbag just in case and a bowl in the car - am I paranoid or just sensible?

So you see you are not alone and your concerns are valid, its learning to live with them thats going to be the challenge for all of us.

Good luck
Ruth
x

HB
28-07-04, 15:48
oh dear, im sure that was really really scary for you, well done for getting through it!!

The only time i have had a sickness bug was october last year and can relate to the same feelings, I think what it is with me is the lead up to actually being sick, not so much the being sick itself. I have to give myself some credit.... for someone who hadnt been sick for 14 years, i didnt miss the sink once!!!

I think i am actually starting to turn a corner now, i can really make jokes out of being poorly without feeling panicky. Feeling pretty good!!!

Sounds like everything is going well for you too, hope your little boy made a speedy recovery (and you too for that matter!!)

Thanks for the advice Ruth, you are always a great help :-)

H