PDA

View Full Version : Problems thinking after long sleep

shalom
21-10-06, 17:34
I have once again experienced what often happens when I have a long sleep, especially during the day on the weekend, and especially when I don't have to begin doing things immeditaely upon waking. Perhaps some of you experience this and have found solutions.

By the way, I take 20 mg of Cipralex (escitalopram) a day.

I awake and have a very hard time putting thoughts together, following through with some intention (even the simplest, like "I will cross the room and get something"). Instead, my mind wanders from thing to thing inside, very creative, often enjoyable and sometimes profound thoughts, rarely remembered. Like being high. I often just sit and stare and "get stuck" in the middle of doing something simple, lost in thought.

If someone says something to me, it's very hard to change gears and respond logically. I normally speak a second language to my family, and it's very hard to speak that well in this state.

This last for up to an hour or so. If I am forced to begin moving or if I begin doing some single simple purpose, like sweeping or arranging the mess from the kids in a room, I will begin to get on track.

Perhaps some of you experience this and have found solutions? My family doesn't understand why I'm sometimes very different. I tell them daddy's mind doesn't work well after he wakes up.

Thanks for being there,
Shalom

looking4answers
22-10-06, 09:01
I don't know if this helps or not but I suffer from anxiety and also post tramatic stress.We are retired and can sleep when we want but we end up sleeping more than I have ever really been accustom to but well there isn't much to do here other than sleep and it really makes any sense to bolt out of bed and do anything.I can identify with what you are talking about.It even happened to me today.I usually wake before she does and we have a video camera outside so we can see what and who is going by usually no one.I sit and stare at the tv and look at the same thing on the screen for hours sometimes.I feel like im just lost in thought.I have odd thoughts and feel as though im out there and then after I decide to get up I start feeling a little more together.Today I just sat there and starred at nothing and the screen and had a variety of thoughts.I usually don't go back to sleep but decided why bother getting up..I went back to sleep for another few hours and woke again and did the same thing and repeated this several times till it got dark and finally I got up and ate some breakfast and watched tv.It still took me awhile to get things together.Its been all day and I have been in a mood of just don't care about anything and still are feeling a little like that .Its almost time to call it another day and all I have done is what you talked about and slept.I feel assured that others also experience this.I don't know for sure what causes it but I don't think its your medicine.I just think its one of those things.I am not sure on your part its caused by anxiety or depression ,but im pretty sure mine is and also a part of being just hesitant about life and compliplating whats next..Hope this helps to know that you aren't alone..I don't think its a bad thing but it does give you a weird feeling.

shalom
22-10-06, 09:44
Thanks very much, very kind of you to speak so frankly of your situation, "looking4".

I forgot to mention that this reminds me of what my dad went through his last years with Parkinsons.

I don't know if wew have the same specific cause, you and me, but we do share the problem of finding the motivation to do something that would generate/create motivation, don't we? If and when I get off my butt, I always get caught in the stream of life once again, at least so far. But until that time, my mind often tells me there's no reason for lving anymore, except my kids. Vacations are very bad for me for this reason.

I totally identify with your situation, and hope you find the strength or stubborness to find some schedule to commit yourself to, some reason you HAVE to get up and get moving, without thinking. My dad and grandad both died soon after retiring. I hope I never retire; it's a curse the modern world laid on men. It's been said having to work is a blessed curse. People need to stay scheduled and busy, don't they?

Can you find something have to get up for, maybe volunteering with some local organization or hspital, or helping youths in your area?

good luck and thanks for finding the motivation to write all this to me,
Shalom

SickofIt
25-10-06, 14:59
I often have feelings such as those you have described. I honestly don't know what causes it, but I feel that if I am dreaming vividly, I have an especially hard time of it in the morning. It's so bad sometimes I can't remember if I was dreaming or awake. I often need hours to feel "right." I'm not taking any psychiatric meds or anything.

I do know; however, that those of us with panic tend to over-focus on sensations like this that most others would simply overlook or brush aside. The over-focusing can make the symptoms worse, I think.