PDA

View Full Version : Pure O/Anxiety taking over

Colt29
27-08-13, 12:45
Firstly I've read these kind of posts before and ended up worrying about the content of them so please don't read if you're prone to this!

Hi I am an 18 year old male who believes I have had anxiety type problems all my life.

I always seem to have one obsessive thought or worry, which greatly affects my life. A lot of the time it involves health anxiety, worrying about having a serious illness, googling symptoms and just worrying myself more. I only seem to be able to beat these bad thoughts by replacing them with others. Other past worries have been fearing death of family members, obsessing over falling out with friends or getting horrible, disgusting images stuck in my head. These constant obsessive thoughts are always biting away, if I forget about what ever I'm obsessing about for a while, I'll suddenly remember it and this really gets me down and it feels like I can never be truly happy :/ I think the biggest issue is that I worry about out all this worry, and it's just like a self perpetuating cycle. I worry that there's always going to be an obsessive worry or thought in my head, that I will never be free of it, and this gets me down.

I am only seeking help and advice now because of recent disturbing thoughts. I was recently watching a program discussing suicide among sportsmen and women. At the time I was waiting for exam results (this was my main worry) and so didn't think anymore about it. After I got my results though I had a thought in my head. That thought was, "what if the thought of suicide took over and I harmed myself". Im sure a healthy mind would just instantly downplay these thoughts as stupid and stop thinking about them,but of course once this horrible thought was in my head I started to obsessively worry about it. This thought had physical implications too and i think i was very close to a panic attack.It's so frustrating because I love my life, I have an amazing family,got great results in my exams and am going to a great university in September, and so would never even consider harming myself. But this thought took over and I was worrying profusely that I was thinking this. It made me feel guilty, upset and down, again worrying about a worry. Then this thought evolved once again, and I started thinking "what if there is no point in life" and this is the current worry, which is making me question everything I do. This isn't in a philosophical way, I'm sick with worry that everything I do has no point, and I'm worrying that i'll always feel this way :(

Reading this all back it sounds like the ramblings of a mad man, but this constant worrying is really affecting my life. It's making me question my career and life choices and making me very sad and alone. Any advice anyone could give would be very much appreciated. im not sure if ive posted this in the right part of the forum, so sorry if i have not.
Thank you :)