PDA

View Full Version : My symptoms have drastically changed suddenly.

xvolatileheart
27-08-13, 12:50
Has this happened to anyone else? I have taken a quick turn for the worse because I feel like I've lost all control.

My symptoms started 1.5 years ago with the standard panic attack feelings - racing heart, palpitations, dizziness, feeling like I can't breathe properly, sudden feeling of dread, etc. Since then I've had daily symptoms, mostly heart-related and dizziness/lightheadedness.

Over the past few days, my physical symptoms seem to have diminished for the most part, but the psychological symptoms have completely taken over. Derealization, depersonalization, feeling like I'm losing my mind, obsessive thoughts about how I'm speaking and my internal voice, etc. Even when I get really scared from these symptoms, they don't seem to cause the physical manifestations of panic.

Why has this happened? It's so sudden and I can't come to grips with it. As much as I hated the physical symptoms, I at least knew them, they were familiar. I'm now convinced that I have a tumor on my adrenal glands or hypothalamus that has taken over and stopped adrenaline release.

I have an appointment with the GP next Monday but I don't even know what kind of help to ask for. Do I finally bite the bullet and start an SSRI? Do I ask for medical investigations? :confused:

ankietyjoe
27-08-13, 14:02
It's very common. My symptoms often change on a daily basis. Over the last 3-4 years I've come to terms with the fact that I can suffer from a list of perhaps 30-40 symptoms, all of which can occur without warning.

Eventually, I did just get used to it and the anxiety and panic over how I was feeling subsided. The trick for me now is to rehabilitate my mind and body to stop feeling the anxiety and get my thought patterns back to normal.

Don't worry about changing symptoms, it's quite normal. Get your doctor to check you out just to put your mind at rest.

TheScript
27-08-13, 16:40
Yes, i've had this too. From mostly physical symptoms to mostly psychological symptoms. It sucks. I'm pretty sure this happens because you've become more afraid of the psychological symptoms and less afraid of the physical symptoms, therefore you experience those symptoms you fear the most.

xvolatileheart
27-08-13, 17:33
Thank you both for your input. It's very reassuring to know that I'm not actually going crazy! I think you're right, TheScript, that I'm starting to accept the physical symptoms so now the psychological ones can take a stronger hold as they're what I fear more.

Thanks again, it really helps to know I'm not alone.

Eyji1
27-08-13, 18:18
Every time I accept one of my symptoms another one takes it's place. Anxiety is an endurance race where you have to be one step ahead all the time.

The more attention you give to it, the worse it becomes.

Worries for stress symptoms, is gasoline for fire.

Keep it up mate.

ankietyjoe
27-08-13, 19:57
Anxiety is an endurance race where you have to be one step ahead all the time.

Too true.

I'm of the opinion now that I can't be bothered to race the ******* any more :D

Eyji1
27-08-13, 22:49
You can always withdraw form the race. That is if you care little enough. There are no winners if no one is bothered with keeping score. If you get what I'm saying.

xvolatileheart
27-08-13, 23:28
That means giving up the illusion of control which is next to impossible for me... But I'm trying!

Eyji1
27-08-13, 23:45
That means giving up the illusion of control which is next to impossible for me... But I'm trying!

I too suffer from this to a certain degree. I'm a control freak so to say. If things aren't as I think they should be. I perceive them as "bad" or "hostile" This is the main reason why my anxiety is aimed at my heart. I have no control over it's beating. Of course I can effect the beating of my heart through various means (breathing, posture, thoughts) But it is not under my direct control. Therefor when I lay in bed, for example. And my heart starts to beat heavily. I'm surprised, it scares me cause it's unexpected. I perceive it as bad. And therefore dangerous.

Kmccluskey
03-10-13, 02:52
Volatileheart, can the sudden feeling of dread happen to you on its own without any other symptoms ?

xvolatileheart
03-10-13, 16:58
Yes, it used to cause all of the physical symptoms but now it's like my brain has created a little feedback loop and I can get sudden feelings of dread/fear with no catalyst and with no physical symptoms, just the agonising mental terror that I'm going to die or go mad.