PDA

View Full Version : Gut feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach

Annie0904
27-08-13, 21:57
One of my friends just posted this article on facebook
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

Eyji1
27-08-13, 22:45
Your body's cells renew themselves again and again. They need energy to do this. When people say that "you are what you eat" it's actually more literal then most of them realize.

Cell function affects us chemically and our moods are little more then chemicals in the brain. Food effects cells etc

People that eat better feel better. I know this but still I always slip back into fast food and bread based food types.

I know a lot about so many things but it's not always easy to practice what you preach.

Annie0904
28-08-13, 21:06
I have been trying to follow the advise to have 5 portions of fruit/veg every day and I have noticed that on days I do this, it does make my mood better.

Lilharry
04-09-13, 11:05
I would whole-heartedly agree with this articule Annie0904! A few months ago I was at the worst I'd ever been - chronic fatigue, severe anxiety, couldn't digest any food, severe depression, crazy thoughts, pain everywhere ... I could list so many things! I did A LOT of research and came to the same conclusion that this article has come to, that it is mostly to do with what is going on in my gut and I made some radical changes to my diet. I have started to feel so much better, I almost can't believe it. I take probiotics and have cut out wheat and sugar and buy organic everything and make all my food from scratch. It's blimmin hard work, but the benefits are undeniable. My husband can hardly believe it either and he's been feeling better also after suffering from depression and gout for the past few years.

Annie0904
06-09-13, 22:22
I would whole-heartedly agree with this articule Annie0904! A few months ago I was at the worst I'd ever been - chronic fatigue, severe anxiety, couldn't digest any food, severe depression, crazy thoughts, pain everywhere ... I could list so many things! I did A LOT of research and came to the same conclusion that this article has come to, that it is mostly to do with what is going on in my gut and I made some radical changes to my diet. I have started to feel so much better, I almost can't believe it. I take probiotics and have cut out wheat and sugar and buy organic everything and make all my food from scratch. It's blimmin hard work, but the benefits are undeniable. My husband can hardly believe it either and he's been feeling better also after suffering from depression and gout for the past few years.

I think one of the things that makes me worse is eating too much refined sugar and I know I really must cut down on it. I am pleased you have seen the benefits.

AuntieMoosie
06-09-13, 22:51
What a brilliant thread Annie :yesyes:

I agree. I think it's of the utmost importance to eat a healthy, balanced diet.

I don't think that we always understand how it effects our bodies and our brains by what we eat, but I have a strong belief that everything we eat/drink will have an effect, be it a positive or negative one.

I'm currently overweight and trying to address it. I know that I feel much worse if I'm carrying excess weight.

I also feel really sluggish everywhere, in body and mind, if I'm eating too much crap food.

Annie, maybe you could start a "Healthy Eating" thread where we could all share our ideas and support each other along the way :D :hugs:

Annie0904
06-09-13, 22:59
I seem to go through phases where I crave sugary things and I just don't have the will power. Luckily for me though I never put on weight so it doesn't affect me that way but I am sure it contributes to making me more lethargic. I will do that thread tomorrow...good idea Auntie Moosie :)