PDA

View Full Version : throat/neck and ear pain...very worried

angrry
28-08-13, 04:06
Hi everyone...hoping someone can help with my current issue...i have quite a bit of right ear pain lately...inner ear, in front of the ear and just under the ear by my jawline...I saw an ent in july and he said it looks like i have acid reflux...he looked at my throat and vocal cords with a mirror..sent me for a barium swallow and a sinus ct...with all the ear pain i'm really worried that it's actually throat cancer that he missed....i can't see my doctor until next week as he is on holiday...very scared..hopefully someone has some insight and can calm me down....thx

Liziik
28-08-13, 09:31
Hi :)
I know it's hard but have faith in the doctor we all visit the doctor then worry about the what ifs etc but try not to stress your obviously now concerntrating on the pain which is making it stand out more and make it seem worse then it probably is visit your doctor again if your that concerned but until then try to acknowledge the pain but sort of say 'yes it's hurting but I'm going to get on with it' this is what I do and slowly the pain disappears or becomes nearly none existent. The worse thing you can do is stress about it as your only feeding it. It's easier said then done but if you can try and retrain the way your mind works you might find it helps :) xx

Fishmanpa
28-08-13, 13:28
"i'm really worried that it's actually throat cancer that he missed.."

As an oral cancer survivor, I can tell you that typically, one would have no symptoms whatsoever. When oral cancer (BOT, throat, tonsil, oropharynx etc) shows itself, it's typically in the later stages. Most often, the only indication something is amiss is a swollen painless lymph node that won't respond to antibiotics. A tumor in the throat or esophagus would not be so much painful but would cause swallowing issues that would progressively get worse. Throat, neck and ear pain are more indicative of tonsil, sinus or indeed, as your doctor diagnosed, acid reflux issues. Acid reflux is aggravated by HA as stress will make you body produce more stomach acid. The tests that were performed would have indeed shown if anything of concern was there.

I participate on a couple of OC cancer forums and there are many who speak about the identical symptoms and fear. In every case thus far, it turned out NOT to be cancer. I cannot imagine what it's like to suffer from HA as I don't. I came here to gain a better understanding of the malady. I'm not a doctor nor can one diagnose on the internet. However, I am an oral cancer survivor and for what it's worth, your symptoms don't present themselves as oral cancer.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Speranza
28-08-13, 16:07
What a great post!

angrry
28-08-13, 21:21
tyvm for your replies Liziik and T...I really appreciate it...I'll see my doc next week when he re-opens his office..i need to see another ENT anyway as the last one said I would benefit from having my deviated septum repaired...of course I will still be worried until my doc has a look.....T I have suffered from HA for over 25 yrs...if you want or have any questions about HA I'd be happy to talk to you in PM about it...it's a complex disorder but I can try to answer anything you may want to know

Dave

angrry
30-08-13, 16:41
sorry to bring this up again and I realize I need to see my Doc when he re-opens his practice next week....but I have read in the past that an ear ache in only one ear is a sign of throat or tonsil ca...I'm 50 and used to smoke although I quit in 2000....I'm really very worried about this..I will definitely call my doctor's office on tuesday when it re-opens and hopefully get in next week as we will be going away the following week.

angrry
31-08-13, 00:29
can anyone help with this...does anyone know if the one-sided ear pain is only a sign of throat ca or can it be from some non-serious condition...i'm really really worried...can't see my doc until next week...tx for your help

Fishmanpa
31-08-13, 00:53
Please re-read my previous post. Over and over if you have to.

There is a mantra we as cancer survivors have and it says; "It's not cancer until they say it's cancer". The only way to diagnose oral cancer is through a biopsy of a suspicious area, node or lesion. Typically an experienced ENT can tell from a scope exam. A CAT, MRI or PET scan will confirm biopsy results.

As mentioned previously, most oral cancers present no symptoms or pain whatsoever. Even if it does, it doesn't come and go. Once pain is present (usually due to a tumor pressing on a nerve or structures in the head and neck), it would be at an advanced stage and very obvious to a physician. Usually its a painless swollen lymph node that doesn't respond to antibiotics or a lesion/sore that doesn't go away. It's also a very slow growing cancer, typically taking a year or more before any symptoms present themselves.

"T"

angrry
31-08-13, 15:59
ty T...I apreciate your advice and assistance...and especially your patience with my fears...