PDA

View Full Version : Booked and eye test very scared

Munchlet
28-08-13, 12:19
So I've finally managed to book an eye test, I'm not going until Saturday but I'm shaking now.

I've not been for years and I'm petrified they are going to tell me that I have a tumour or melanoma of the eye.

Do you think it will help if I tell them how nervous I am or has anyone got any tips or advice.

I just think by the time I get there I'm going to be a blubbering wreck.

I've had floaters for years and years and that is the last time I had my eyes tested was when they developed. My eyes were fine then but obviously that was a very very long time ago and I'm sure over the years I've steadily developed more floaters.

That's what has made me book the test I keep focusing on them at the minute and so they seem really bad. Having said that last night I went out for dinner with friends and throughout the entire evening I didn't notice a single floater so I think they do tend to appear worse when I'm thinking about them.

I know it's my own stupid fault for not going sooner but it was never something my parents encouraged us to do as kids and in fact my dad has just recently had his first ever eye test at the age of 67 so obviously eye health was not something they placed a lot of importance on.

Any advice on how to stop myself having a complete panic attack?

thanks

meche
28-08-13, 12:36
Well done for making the appoinment. It won't be half as bad as you think. A few weeks ago I had my first dentist appt in 15 years and was pooing myself. Once I got in there though I was fine. I'm going again this afternoon so it can't be that bad. Unfortuantely you just have to go with the fear. Nothing I say will take that away. Let them know how nervous you are and they will put you at ease. Good luck. xx

RosieXXX
28-08-13, 13:10
Hello Munchlet,

Well done you for making that appointment . I am exactly the same as you, and haven't yet been brave enough to book an appointment - been trying to do so for the past year. Stupid isn't it - i could kick myself - but this is what health anxiety is all about.

I do believe that once you are there, you will find a way to cope, anticipation is always the worst part. Whenever i have to face a medical appointment of any kind, i try to look ahead to beyond the appointment and think to myself i am putting myself in a safe pair of hands and in a few days this will be all over, and the chances are everything will be ok.

I know how difficult it is - but you are already half way there - you have been brave to make that appointment - that is a huge step in the right direction.

Will be thinking of you - and hope i can find the courage to make an appointment for myself. xx

Munchlet
28-08-13, 19:27
Thank you meche and Rosie I agree with what you say nothing will reassure me but I just have to bite the bullet and do it now its booked.

I know I will be a nervous wreck but I am going to tell them I'm very nervous so hopefully they won't think I'm a complete looney.

thanks for the replies xx