PDA

View Full Version : Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia

xvolatileheart
29-08-13, 00:04
Do any of you have experience with this?

This summer I've had 3 or 4 "attacks" where I suddenly feel very faint, my hands cramp up, I get shaky, nauseous, my heart pounds, and it comes in these "waves" until I eat something. Every time it has happened after not eating for a while. It's really terrifying and I feel "off" for the rest of the day.

Is there any correlation with panic/anxiety and blood sugar problems? Does anyone here have low blood sugar? I would love some advice.

BobbyDog
29-08-13, 09:15
I get this, usually when I have been consuming a lot of sugar on a regular basis, then I don't have any, or very little at all. It helps to eat carbs on a regular basis, little and often. I think people with anxiety notice hypo/hyper more that other people, because we are over sensitive to our bodily sensations. A slice of toast, glass of orange usually puts it right for me, or if it is really bad, a bar of chocolate.

xvolatileheart
29-08-13, 10:30
Thanks for your reply. I think you're right that we are more sensitive so we notice it more.

I feel so out of it today, like I'm not "all there", and I'm constantly hungry. It's making my health anxiety really bad. Also even though I'm anxious about it, I'm not having any panic symptoms which is totally abnormal for me so now I'm convinced something is REALLY wrong. Why isn't my body responding how it normally does?

nomorepanic
29-08-13, 10:55
Don't complain cos you are not getting panic symptoms - be happy, enjoy it and make the most of it

Anxious_gal
29-08-13, 14:28
The hands cramping up sounds more like panic or you were dehydrated, you need a certain amount of salt and sugar and fluid so if you were low in any of those it can cause cramps. (Happened me once after drinking too much alcohol which dehydrated me)

I get low blood sugar episodes when I go long without food which can happen when I am anxious and can't eat or forget to eat. I get dizzy, lightheaded, shaky, most notably breaking out in a sweat. Feel way better after eating :)

I did have full blood work done, where you fast the night before boy was I hungry lol. They also did that diabetic type test and it came back normal.

If you feel hungry a lot you are best of telling your doctor and getting your blood sugar tested. I know some people can get hypoglycemia, I think its managed by diet but it's worth asking your doctor.

xvolatileheart
29-08-13, 16:20
Thanks all. I have felt insatiably hungry, which is adding to my worry. My stomach rumbles and rumbles and feels like I haven't eaten all day when I've had a snack 30 minutes ago! I'm going to request the fasting and glucose tests when I see my doctor next Monday.

Nicola - I know I should be enjoying it, only a mad woman would complain that her panic symptoms have vanished! :wacko:

Thanks again, I was having a very bad morning but thankfully the day has improved. :)