PDA

View Full Version : Catching breathe when falling asleep

RVP
29-08-13, 01:41
Hey guys, my anxiety has been great for about a month or so now, not feeling stressed and having a great time. But last night and it happened maybe 7/8 or so times maybe even more every time I'm about to go sleep it will feel as though I stop breathing and I pounce up gasping for breath.

This doesn't happen all the time but when it does it happens multiple times in the night..Is this something to worry about? I also mentioned a while ago that I get thuds in my chest which again happens sometimes but when it does it will be quite a few times in one night.

Thanks.

Dubbmented
29-08-13, 07:37
This use to happen to me before I beat Health Anxiety. Since I'm cured from it, it doesn't happen anymore.. I put it down to the over stress in my head and anxiety running throughout all the day. (even if I thought I wasn't stressed) .. and when your body goes into deep sleep, I think your mind kind of reacts.. like "whoa no I'm not done worrying, and kind of wakes you back up with a heavy gasp."

I use to think I would stop breathing before I fell asleep, and was terrified to fall asleep. I thought I had sleep apnea. It use to be worse after alcohol and some medications, and then I thought it could be acid reflux.. So I had a few theorys before it totally dissapeared.

So my guess would be you're fine, and it's just got to do with anxiety.. If you're that worried just bring it up with your Dr. Goodluck :)

SarahH
29-08-13, 17:26
This is VERY VERY common for people with anxiety...I get it all the time...particularly if I try to have a nap in the afternoons.....It is something to do with your heart slowing down as you drop off to sleep and the natural pacemaker in your heart gives a little jolt to keep your heart in rhythmn (!) so you gasp as a reaction to the jolt. It is harmless but scary nonetheless.

sarah

Eyji1
29-08-13, 19:53
I've had this. It's helped me most not to think about it. Really, really useless advice to someone who suffers with anxiety. But I practiced not giving a damn about it and now it's stopped.