PDA

View Full Version : Howdy folks, Adam here

spuddy_face
29-08-13, 13:26
Hi, a pleasure to e-meet you all,
I signed up for the forum a few weeks ago but have been in too much of a fug to get anything done. It's high time that I started sorting my life out, and hopefully this forum will be a useful resource.

I've always been cripplingly shy, the sort that takes an age to settle around new people, and had some CBT for it a few years ago (mixed results). Now I'm beginning to suspect I've been some manner of depressed for most if not all my adult life - a mix of MTFU attitude, heavy drinking and that university set a standard for misery that's hard to beat means I've not considered it too much until recently.

Either how, everything's been building up a lot these past few months to the point where I've alienated most of my friends, have been drinking through need rather than want, and the more the list of repairs for the house builds up, the more I despair - the idea of having strangers in the house is hateful (though i'm generally fine once they are there). I get really strong pangs of sadness at strange times too.

Having spent the past fortnight backpacking with a friend, meeting some great people, i've come back home and realised I've thoroughly wasted the last 15 years by trying to avoid the awkward/uncomfortable/emotional parts of life.

So, the plan is to stop drinking, bite the bullet and see the doctor for some drugs (and use this place to work out which ones may be useful), maybe try out the local buddhist meditation centre to help with the frustration/irritability at not being able to do the things I want, and eventually start attending a social thing through Meetup to find a new group of friends.
It's going to be quite some work, and I'll pobably be on here a bit looking for advice and/or understanding. Nonetheless, I'm optimistic about it all. Giving up smoking and rediscovering cycling recently has already given me quite a boost - and I want more of that.

thanks,
adam

Edward_1980
29-08-13, 14:45
Hi Adam,

Welcome :welcome:

Speranza
29-08-13, 14:52
:welcome: Adam!

Gill