PDA

View Full Version : Rampant Leg pain. Blood clot or nerves?

missing7
30-08-13, 05:32
For ~2months I've been having an assortment of symptoms in my left leg. I have a recurrent sharp, localized pain in the middle of my inner thigh. I also sometimes have localized pain on my outer thigh and just above the knee and mild pain on the back of my calf and thigh. I've also recently been having pain on the outside of my left ankle and shin.I also have random burning sensations that occur mostly on my inner or outer thigh similar to where I experience the sharp pains but do occur at other spots. I sometimes have a general ache in my leg. I also experience what I can best describe as a numb/heavy feeling in the muscles right above my knee. There is no tingling or pins and needles. It just feels like the muscles are numb. I also have mild tingling in my foot/toes, but usually only during the first hour of getting out of bed. I also experience sharp pain around the side and front of my left hip. Today, while walking, I experience a sharp pain at the front of my pelvis that occurred every time I took a step with my left leg. The pain hasn't occurred since. I have had back pain for the past two months as well. Some days are worse than others.

What I'm paranoid about is having a blood clot. I did have a d-dimer test and an ultrasound of my left leg, both which were negative. However, I made the dumb mistake of googling how accurate those tests are. Of course, they aren't 100% so I'm still worried. I know blood clots can cause pain, but would the pain be so random as what I've described or would it just be a general pain in one spot? I do have a lumbar MRI scheduled for tomorrow. But I'm having a lot of pain right now. So, I'm freaking out. I also currently have pain on the back of my left buttocks. Does this definitely sound like nerves or is there a chance it could be a blood clot? Sorry for the long post.

missing7
09-09-13, 04:34
115 views and no one has anything useful to say?

Jsp
13-09-13, 00:04
Hi missing.

I've been through major worry about blood clots too but it wasn't that in the end.

Have you heard of a condition called sciatica? It's due to irritation of the sciatic nerve, it can be cause by bad posture and various other things - it's not serious or life threatening, just a pain! Sciatica causes pain in the places you describe and how you describe it. You also said you have back pain - where is it in your back? Sciatica occurs right from the spine as this is where the sciatic nerve travels from. I have the same problem and it turns out I have a curvature of my lower spine which was pressing on the sciatic nerve and causing the pain.

You've had two tests for blood clots, although you are correct that they are not 100% accurate, they are pretty accurate and you would be in complete agony with a blood clot. You would definitely know if it is one.

You could try taking some ibuprofen if you are able to, and use a hot water bottle at the bottom of your spine where your back hurts. Make sure you sit up straight at all times and see your doctor about your back, while keeping physically active (try not to damage your back more though!) Solving the problems with your back will definitely solve the problems with pain in your legs.

Speranza
13-09-13, 00:15
I was going to say it must be a nerve. I think all the people who have viewed the thread are as aware as I am that we aren't doctors... I would imagine a blood clot which had been there for two months would have caused more trouble by now.

nomorepanic
13-09-13, 00:23
115 views and no one has anything useful to say?
They are mainly not "real" people but "robots" scanning the site