PDA

View Full Version : How long before you up your dosage?

scaredmother
30-08-13, 08:06
Hi. I started prozac 18 days ago. Like most ppl I had a normal few days then a week of hell due to anxiety through the roof. It was only this forum that got me through so thanks to everyone's posts as they really do help. Anyway i am on prozac for postnatal ocd and depression although I believe the depression stems from the ocd as it gets me down so much. Anyway like I said I had a hellish week of heightened anxiety and then it calmed down a bit towards the end of the second week. But the last few days my ocd keeps flaring up to the point I cannot distract from it which means my anxiety is constant. It's not piercing like the initial week but its still not nice and I just wondered is it normal to feel like the meds are working and then feel like they are not and just basically be up and down? Do I need to increase my dosage yet? Any support is appreciated xxx

cokesmyth5
30-08-13, 08:24
Unfortunately it is absolutely normal to have ups and downs. One thing I've learnt the hard way is to try not to over react to the down bits too much because you can slow down when the next up bit comes. Far easier said than done, of course.
I think I would talk to my GP about when to increase my dose. If the answer is wait a while, you could ask if there is anything you can take to help in the down times. I had post natal depression (long time ago now) - I hope you have some practical and emotional help. There is always someone around on this forum to support you, including me.
Take care

BIGMEANPOSSUM
30-08-13, 16:54
Are you on 20mg? I wouldn't rush to 40mg, I tried and regretted it. It would be time to go from 10mg to 20mg though.

With that said, it sounds normal. I've been on it 100 days and I wondered if it was working in the 60s or 70s before feeling better. The bad days will get easier to cope with and the good days will get more frequent, but it takes a while to get there. Just take it day by day and have faith that you are improving, even when it doesn't feel like it.

scaredmother
31-08-13, 07:43
Hi. Thanks for the replies. I think you're right and I will wait to up it for now.
Bigmeanpossum, I have read your thread and it is that along with others that has kept me going on the flux for the last few weeks tbh.
I really hope these tablets do work and give me the strength to beat this ocd and anxiety once and for all so I can get back to being me and start enjoying life with my family properly again xx

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

Are you on 20mg? I wouldn't rush to 40mg, I tried and regretted it. It would be time to go from 10mg to 20mg though.

With that said, it sounds normal. I've been on it 100 days and I wondered if it was working in the 60s or 70s before feeling better. The bad days will get easier to cope with and the good days will get more frequent, but it takes a while to get there. Just take it day by day and have faith that you are improving, even when it doesn't feel like it.

Are u still on 20mg now? I'm on 20mg x

BIGMEANPOSSUM
31-08-13, 10:06
Yes I'm still on 20. I tried going up to 40 and couldn't handle it so had to go back to 20.

Somewhere around day 70 I broke through the wall and got close to normal. I had horrible days in the 60s and wondered if it was working. You'll have many doubts, think you're getting better, and then wonder if you are getting worse. It's very hard, but you need to have faith that you're improving.

I couldn't leave my front porch a couple of months ago and this medicine has helped me immensely. I sincerely hope it helps you as it has me.

scaredmother
02-09-13, 16:04
Hi bmp. Are you on it for anxiety or for depression? Just wondered if it will eventually help my anxiety? Take care

BIGMEANPOSSUM
02-09-13, 19:36
Anxiety, I haven't been depressed too much. When I started I couldn't get off my porch without having a panic attack. I could barely handle the anxiety at home, I had no chance of handling it away from home.

I thought the anxiety would never go away, but it has. It was tough to deal with on most days, but it went away around day 70-75. I had some good days before then and could cope with it better, but around day 70-75 I started feeling very close to normal.

scaredmother
02-09-13, 21:06
Hi bmp. I am so glad the medication has helped you and you are getting your life back. It is so good to hear. I am looking forward to being well again one day too x