PDA

View Full Version : Does prozac take longer to work for ocd?

scaredmother
30-08-13, 15:15
Hi I just wondered if prozac takes longer to work for ocd. Only been on it 2 and a half weeks and just wondering how long I give it?

nomorepanic
30-08-13, 15:19
I was told to give any medication a good 6 months!

2 weeks is really early days

Also you need some sort of therapy alongside the medication as Prozac won't cure the OCD as such

anthrokid
01-09-13, 10:41
Prozac is an SSRI, and most people won't notice changes for at least 6-8 weeks. Two and a half weeks is quite early to notice changes, and although some people do, it generally isn't until that 6 week mark before you'll start to notice the positives. It doesn't work instantly either. You'll notice slow and gradual changes with an SSRI, which is better for OCD, as the slow treatment changes reduce the risk of remission. Generally, slightly higher doses of fluoxetine are prescribed to treat OCD.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Prozac is the one of the best medications to use for treatment of OCD, so rest assured that you're most likely to have an effect from fluoxetine rather than another medication. However, OCD is quite a cognitive disorder (involves thoughts and thought processes), so it is highly recommended that you undergo some therapy sessions whilst taking medication, or at least reading up on some self-help strategies for OCD. Therapists will usually use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) alongside medication to treat OCD. If you aren't seeng someone, you can still read about it online and access all of the information in order for you to practice yourself :) Look up 'cognitive restructuring'. This can be quite helpful.

scaredmother
01-09-13, 15:02
Prozac is an SSRI, and most people won't notice changes for at least 6-8 weeks. Two and a half weeks is quite early to notice changes, and although some people do, it generally isn't until that 6 week mark before you'll start to notice the positives. It doesn't work instantly either. You'll notice slow and gradual changes with an SSRI, which is better for OCD, as the slow treatment changes reduce the risk of remission. Generally, slightly higher doses of fluoxetine are prescribed to treat OCD.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Prozac is the one of the best medications to use for treatment of OCD, so rest assured that you're most likely to have an effect from fluoxetine rather than another medication. However, OCD is quite a cognitive disorder (involves thoughts and thought processes), so it is highly recommended that you undergo some therapy sessions whilst taking medication, or at least reading up on some self-help strategies for OCD. Therapists will usually use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) alongside medication to treat OCD. If you aren't seeng someone, you can still read about it online and access all of the information in order for you to practice yourself :) Look up 'cognitive restructuring'. This can be quite helpful.

Thanks so much for ur reply. I am in therapy too and reading self help at the same time. I'm desperate to be well again and praying this medicine helps take the edge off enough so I can fight it. Having other ppls support helps so much though. Thanks again for taking the time to reply xx

anthrokid
02-09-13, 03:03
You're welcome :) This forum is such a great place for that extra support and comfort.

Great to hear that you're in therapy and reading self-help information. Sound like you're doing everything right at this stage, and I'm confident that you'll start seeing some improvements in a month or two.

I study psychology and am I trained counsellor, but I've suffered from OCD and panic disorder myself, and through a combination of therapy and fluoxetine I am back on my feet and free from anxiety and OCD. It takes time, and hard work, but there is hope.

scaredmother
02-09-13, 07:25
You're welcome :) This forum is such a great place for that extra support and comfort.

Great to hear that you're in therapy and reading self-help information. Sound like you're doing everything right at this stage, and I'm confident that you'll start seeing some improvements in a month or two.

I study psychology and am I trained counsellor, but I've suffered from OCD and panic disorder myself, and through a combination of therapy and fluoxetine I am back on my feet and free from anxiety and OCD. It takes time, and hard work, but there is hope.

Hi. It's great to hear that you got through ocd and anxiety. It's so hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel at the moment. Mine is postnatal ocd, purely obsessional. And it's horrid!! I would love to keep in contact with u if you don't mind along the way?

anthrokid
02-09-13, 15:21
I completely understand. It's such a nightmare to get through! But it is doable. It just takes time. Which could be hard with a new bub! I'd be happy to keep in contact :) Feel free to give me a PM anytime! Sometimes I may take a day or two to reply though, depending on work and study. Rest assured I'm never too far away though :P

scaredmother
13-10-13, 07:21
I completely understand. It's such a nightmare to get through! But it is doable. It just takes time. Which could be hard with a new bub! I'd be happy to keep in contact :) Feel free to give me a PM anytime! Sometimes I may take a day or two to reply though, depending on work and study. Rest assured I'm never too far away though :P

Hi anthrokid. I hope u r well. I have sent you an inbox for your opinion on something. When u get a spare sec xxx