PDA

View Full Version : Results not ready :(

emlica
30-08-13, 16:50
Ugh, I know this is silly but I've got worried now.

I had blood tests on Wednesday morning and the doctor said the results for some of them would be back very soon, though one would take a bit longer. She did then say 'oh but I'll need to look at them first' - I asked if I could try on Friday and she said yes. About a month ago I had blood tests on a Wednesday morning and when I rang on Friday afternoon they were all back and the doctor had looked at them, so I thought when I rang this afternoon the same thing would have happened.

The receptionist said the results were back but the doctor hadn't had chance to look at them, so she said to ring back on Monday. Now I'm worried that it's some sort of GP receptionist code for 'there's something wrong', even though logically I know that the receptionist wouldn't be able to give me results that the doctor hadn't looked at - the doctor even said as much, and I'm guessing at least some of them are probably just numbers that need to be interpreted anyway. The receptionist won't have actually been LYING, will she? I mean, if it was the case that the GP had looked and there was something wrong, wouldn't she have said something like 'the GP will give you a call', or something? I have an appointment booked with the GP for Wednesday anyway, so I'm now just a bit panicky that they're not planning to tell me anything until then. But that doesn't make sense, does it? She wouldn't have said to ring back on Monday if it was that, right? The illogical bit of me is wondering why the GP wouldn't have looked at them yet when she did last time and when she said I could ring today, but realistically I have no idea when the results actually came back or whether the GP is even in the surgery today, how busy she is, etc.

Sorry. I know logically I'm panicking about nothing but would appreciate it if anyone else had been told their results were back but not checked but they turned out to be all clear!!

Annie0904
30-08-13, 18:31
I am sure this happens a lot and I have been told before that mine were back but the doctor hadn't seen them yet. Maybe it was the doctors day off or he has had a very busy day.

almamatters
30-08-13, 19:14
I have been told a couple of times that my results are back but have not been checked and they have been normal results. Probably depends on how busy the surgery is on the day. x

nomorepanic
30-08-13, 19:16
We had a bank holiday as well so they will be catching up still with things

emlica
31-08-13, 09:10
Thank you!! :D

I hadn't thought of the bank holiday - I know from when I was trying to find a time for my next doctor's appointment that she's not in every day and I know she has kids, too, and it's the end of the school hols, so I really shouldn't be surprised that she hasn't had time to look at them yet. Just threw me into a bit of a panic yesterday as I'd psyched myself up for the results and then nothing...

emlica
02-09-13, 14:22
Oh no :( Even more panicky now. Just rang again and the receptionist said the doctor still hadn't looked at them, so I thought, oh well, fair enough, I guess the doctor has been busy, will try not to stress about it. But then she said 'so I'll get the doctor to give you a ring later today', and now I'm convinced that means there's something wrong and the doctor wants to talk to me about it.

Logically I know that it's probably just that the receptionist doesn't want me constantly ringing up to find out if the doctor has looked yet and it makes more sense for the doctor to ring me once she has, but there's a definite niggle that maybe she was fibbing and there is something abnormal on there. Argh.

Annie0904
02-09-13, 19:12
Go with your logical thinking as I am sure that is the reason :hugs:

emlica
02-09-13, 22:11
Well, it turns out that the results I was actually most worried about aren't even in yet (!), *but* there was an abnormality on the tests that did come back - I have low iron levels, although I'm not anaemic. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I think it basically means the haemoglobin levels are OK but the ferritin levels aren't.

The doctor says that this isn't particularly unusual in women - particularly if you have heavy periods, which I do, and both my mum and my nan were sporadically anaemic for that reason - and it's probably pretty much unconnected to the reason I was being tested, which is all digestive-related (except that my digestive issues have meant that I've not been eating as much/as well as usual, which probably affects things, I guess). I know it should be fairly fixable with iron supplements and it's not disastroub, but I can't help being just a little bit worried that it might be a sign that I have something like coeliac disease causing malabsorption or something - it was the coeliac test I was most worried about! - but I guess I just have to wait and find out. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, at which I assume she'll be prescribing me some lovely (?!) iron supplements, and hopefully the other test results will be back then as well.

A bit deflated if I'm honest - psyched myself up for the results I was worried about, and they're not in, and the one I wasn't so worried about (I don't really have many obvious symptoms of low iron levels) has come back with a dodgy result. Meh.

hadenough
06-09-13, 12:45
hi, just wondered how you got on on wednesday, hope everythings ok xx