PDA

View Full Version : Jaw pain

Eyji1
30-08-13, 18:28
Hello everyone.

For the last 2 days I've been dealing with a pretty bothersome pain in the left side of my jaw. It sort of radiates up to my temple and into my teeth.

I know this is muscular and stress related but this is the third time in two weeks I get this and last night was the second time I woke up because of the pain and needed to take painkillers so I could manage to go back to sleep.

Needless to say this is something I'd rather not have to deal with as waking up in the middle of the night with bad pain in the jaw isn't good for an anxious person,

I'm sure some of you have dealt with the same problem I'm facing right now so what I would like to ask of you is advice on how to beat this.

nomorepanic
30-08-13, 19:04
You could get a mouth guard to wear at night

purgatory
30-08-13, 19:34
I hear you on the jaw pain and yes like nic said a mouth guard would most probably do the trick.

As we clench our teeth/jaw most of the time without even knowing it and mostly happens in our sleep.
I will know if I will have jaw pain in the morning and through the day just by looking at my tongue in the morning if my sides are scalloped (teeth marks around the edge) means I have been clenching my teeth so pain ahead for me.

Eyji1
30-08-13, 19:36
Is there anything you can do besides taking painkillers?

purgatory
30-08-13, 20:07
Hi I have found doing jaw exercises were a good thing
http://www.wikihow.com/Cure-TMJ-with-Jaw-Exercises

I found a good tip on the page was this one "Set your phone alarm to go off every hour to remind you to unclench and relax your jaw" as most of the time we don't even know we are doing it.

Eyji1
31-08-13, 23:59
Thank you for the link purgatory. I will try these for half a month and see if it helps.