PDA

View Full Version : Made a BIG mistake at work reguarding a cheque

Cookie.
30-08-13, 20:32
Hi there

I have anxiety issues and it takes a lot for me to go to work in the morning.

I've come from work today to realise that I have made a HUGE big mistake at work a few days ago. I was suppose to send a cheque off to the DVLA (I work for an insurance company). I however made a mistake and on the PAYE part I think I put the Post Office instead of the DVLA. :( The cheque has already been sent in the post. The DVLA won't be able to cash it will they? What I'm more worried about is that the DVLA don't have my companies address who I work for just the customers so I'm so worried they will send the cheque back to them instead.

I'm going to be in so much trouble on Monday. I'm afraid to go in on Monday now :( Please someone help me.

Annie0904
30-08-13, 20:36
I would speak to your manager about it and they will be able to advise what will happen. It was a genuine mistake and one that can be sorted.

Pipkin
30-08-13, 20:45
Hi there,

We've all made mistakes at work - I've made some real whoppers in my time and things have always worked out. There's nothing in your mistake that can't be sorted out. No-one's out of pocket, you can cancel the cheque and speak to the DVLA, explaining the mistake and telling them a replacement is on the way.

The most important thing is to explain it to your manager and say what you're going to do to put it right. He/she will appreciate your honesty and that you're prepared to own up to your mistakes. It's far better to come from you than wait until the customer gets in touch.

It will work out fine so try your best not to dwell on it too much.

Take care and good luck

Pip x

Cookie.
30-08-13, 21:38
Thanks for getting back to me. I had a panic attack about it a few minutes ago but I've calmed down a bit. I don't know much about cheques as I don't normally send them. Does this mean despite me getting it wrong nobody will be able to cash the cheque?

Pipkin
30-08-13, 21:49
Only the person who is the payee on the cheque can cash it. If you've written post office, only the post office could cash it. The DVLA certainly won't.

Your manager will be able to stop it and you'll just need to let the DVLA know and send a replacement. Honestly, there's nothing there that can't be easily sorted.

Pip

Cookie.
30-08-13, 21:57
Thanks so much Pip. You've made my mind at ease. The last thing I want is for my boss to lose money because of my silly mistake.

Thanks again.

Pipkin
30-08-13, 22:04
No problem. Your boss definitely won't lose money - it's just one of those little mistakes which are easy to make. We'll both make plenty more mistakes in our career and we'll deal with them. There's nothing that can't be sorted.

Have a good evening

Pip

Tessar
31-08-13, 21:54
Hey cookie, the others re so right, it's best to speak with your manager. Despite that being scary (believe me I once made the biggest mistake imaginable to do with data protection so I do relate to how it feels) one Important thing about "coming clean" is that even if you have to deliver negative news to your manager, you will get respect for admitting to what happened. So many times I have been in that situation and I have to say that coming clean stops your anxiety in its tracks. Ok, there might be an uncomfortable conversation to come but you will feel relieved once you do it. Also, whilst it might be hard to understand this right now or to believe it, the experience will help you become stronger in the longer term. These days, having had a mixture if this type of experience at work, as well as good ones I might add, I feel it is all part of life. Naturally we'd like to do our jobs mistake free, but as pip said, we have all made mistakes at work..... Your manager included I am sure. So, roll on Monday so you can get this sorted but meanwhile try to think about nicer things and deal with this when you can.