PDA

View Full Version : brain eating parasite!!!!!

tan235
31-08-13, 04:01
Ivr been, stupidly, readimg about this brain eating parasite!

I used a neti pot 7 days ago and used some tap water to cool the boiled water down, now i read that two people got it from using tap water!!!!

My dr has told me there is no way i could get it as the tap water is chlorinated but im still so very paranoid!!!!

Would i have symptoms by now?
Anyone else use tap water - im freaking!!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

Im in new zealand.

AuntieMoosie
01-09-13, 02:13
Well I've never even heard of a brain eating parasite :wacko:

The best advice that I can give you is to stop reading about it. I would think that whatever it is, it would be very, very rare as I've never come across it in my 52 years on this planet :)

roxy90
01-09-13, 03:03
I have no idea what that is, im not going to google it because I.will have it. Saying that if.your Dr says its impossible then I'd be happy (and I'm.nutty paranoid and never believe them!)

roady
01-09-13, 07:39
OP, I am sure you are fine. The symptoms are "flu-like", and what hurts is the brain swelling that results. Still, it is so, so rare. In the US only 33 people with documented cases between 1998 and 2007. You're much more likely to get struck by lightning! :) I know this condition is a big HA trigger for me too, because I used to live in a very warm and humid climate and spent much of my youth swimming and playing in ponds and creeks.

Recently a girl in the US survived the infection, which I think will give doctors an opportunity to learn more about it and how to treat it. So, try to rest easy and not worry too much. Keep boiling the water for your Neti pot as instructed. Best of luck and I hope you feel better.