PDA

View Full Version : First holiday in 10 years!!

charliesanangel
02-07-04, 10:01
Ok a few weeks ago hubby says to me "i need a holiday" and i was like ok (thinking he would never get to see me in a bikini ever ever ever!) thing is 7 days in sunny Greece is now booked and paid for in full eeeeeeeeeeek! (ive not been any further than chester zoo for 10 yrs)

So it looks like ive gotta do it, He spoke to Thomas Cook who have been fantastic he has managed to pre book the seats going and coming back, arranged for us to board the plane first and got insurence with my agoraphobia/depression which not many places will do.

Its been fantastic choosing new clothes (lost 2 stone) trying them on and sending them back (thank god for home shopping lol) but reality has kicked in now [Sigh...] ive got 8 weeks to be able to leave the house, go to manchester airport and board that plane with over a hundred other people.

Does anyone have any good advice on how i can distract myself from whats going on in the airport? and people that are going to be around me for 3h45mins in a plane thousands of feet up?

Any advice would be really helpful

seh1980
02-07-04, 17:49
hello there,
Wow! A week in Greece sounds amazing!! Don't worry about it - the fear you get before going is always worse than when you are actually there. When i travel on planes, I always make sure that i have certain things with me: my favorite aromatherapy oils, books and puzzles, snacks. a bottle of water, paper to write a letter, etc. You're lucky cos you have someone with you so you can always chat. Good luck!!
Sarah (seh1980)

charliesanangel
02-07-04, 18:08
its not going on the holiday thats bothers me sarah its the people im gonna be surrounded by for for close to 4 hours and i have nowhere to go to escape them :(

kate
02-07-04, 18:37
I last went abroad in 2000, to Florida. Nine hour flight.

I was so nervous that I went to the doctors a few weeks before I went and he gave me diazepam for the flight.

Although this did not stop me worrying totally, it did take the edge off it.

It also made me drowzy, so I slept most of the flight home.

Just a suggestion anyway.

Kate x

EMMA
04-07-04, 11:19
Hi Kate,

I love going aboad and it has never bothered me before until recently when I started with anxiety/panic attacks. I went on my hen weekend last weekend to Barcelona but didn't feel good about going. I'd had a lot of stress before I went. I took Kalms tablets but felt terrible still on the plane. To get me back home I had to go to a hospital in Barcelona because I was nervous about flying home. He gave me Diazepam (10mg) they made me that spaced out that I fell asleep on the plane and before I knew it we were home.

I'm going to Mauritius for my honeymoon in 4 weeks time and it's a 10 hour flight but I am determined to go (it cost us enough so definitely going!). I'm taking a supply of Diazepam with me to get me through the flight. I know once I get there I'll be able to chill out.

I hope you go and have a lovely time. Take plenty of magazines for the flight. Greece is a lovely place, very relaxed and chilled out. Once you get on that beach in that lovely sunshine you will be fine.

Take care
Emma :D

nomorepanic
04-07-04, 16:58
Hi Charlie

The best thing to do is take something to distract you. A walkman and loads of stuff to do/read. Get a puzzle book cos that will keep your mind occupied.

Get some Diazepam if you can cos that will relax you a bit.

I work for an airline and if you tell them that you are nervous they will look after you trust me. Who are you flying with?

Great news - wish I could come with you [:P]

Nicola

charliesanangel
05-07-04, 09:34
Thanx for the advice all :D at the moment ive got the vampire chronicals which hubby bought me a few months back and ive needed a reason to start them lol and im gonna get a few puzzle books at the airport i think i might take a trip to the doctor just incase.
He has booked through Thomas Cook Nic

nomorepanic
05-07-04, 15:24
Charlie

That will keep you busy then won't it.

I just wondered if you wer flying with Britannia but probably not if Thomas Cook did it cos we deal with Thomsons mainly.

Nicola

charliesanangel
05-07-04, 15:29
Its actually quite strange you should say that nic the holiday it is a thomson holiday booked through thomas cook lol
thomsons are the ones with the red smily face yeah?

nomorepanic
05-07-04, 17:24
Yeah that is the TUI smile lol.

Well I work for Britannia Airways so you will be flying with us.

When do you go, and where are you flying from? - I could maybe ask them to look after you in an extra special way lol.

Nicola

charliesanangel
05-07-04, 17:27
erm flying from manchester flight number TCX103k 13th sept 9am lol

nomorepanic
05-07-04, 17:39
ok thanks

Remind me nearer the time ok.

Nicola