PDA

View Full Version : iui

cat85pink
01-09-13, 01:39
So me & hubby have our first iui appointment on Tuesday,
I presume its just a chat? But has anyone been through this? What should I expect?

Im very nervous

nomorepanic
01-09-13, 02:38
Can you explain what IUI is

cat85pink
01-09-13, 13:48
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is the technique used to carry out artificial insemination.

IUI using a partner’s sperm

If a couple decides to have IUI using their own sperm, the man will be asked to provide a sperm sample at the fertility clinic, usually on the same day that IUI treatment takes place. The man will be asked to masturbate into a specimen cup. He may also be asked not to have sexual intercourse or masturbate for two days before the sample is taken because this could affect the sperm sample’s quality. The sperm sample will be "washed" and filtered using special equipment to remove any dead sperm and impurities. The faster-moving sperm will be kept and any slow-moving sperm will be removed. This produces a concentrated sample of healthy sperm. An instrument called a speculum is inserted into the woman's vagina to keep the walls of the vagina open (in the same way as a smear test). A thin, flexible tube called a catheter is then placed inside the vagina and guided into the womb. This process is mostly painless, although some women may experience mild cramping, similar to period pains. The sperm sample will then be passed through the catheter and into the womb. The process usually takes no more than 10 minutes, and the couple should be able to go home shortly after the procedure is finished.

ElizabethJane
16-09-13, 16:36
Hi Cat I have read your other posts and know that you are going to have IVF in 2014 and I wish you every good wish for that. I had three or four cycles of IUI going through the same protocol as if we were going for IVF. I had injections of pergonal I think. I have poly cystic ovaries so my response to the drugs was too good. I remember having to go through an egg collection because I had far too many eggs for IUI. My IUI should have been terminated but I ended up with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. We eventually had our IVF at Barts who were brilliant. There is often no reason for IUI not to work it just doesn't. With IVF the best quality eggs are put back into the womb and the sperm with the best motility are used to fertilise them. Not sure what I am trying to say but I'm sure if we were doing it all again we would bypass IUI. It was a lot of expense and no result. EJ

cat85pink
17-09-13, 00:25
Thank you for your kind reply

We are funded through the NHS and started investigations in Feb 2012 a year later some of the protocols have changed and iui is no longer offered as it's not likely to be sucessful so at our iui appointed they put us straight on the waiting list for IVF, I just we'd known this, instead of more waiting we started 6 cycles of Clomid in Sept 2012 with a follow up appointment in march 2013 they extended the Clomid for 3 months before iui, now we are waiting again!

We've had no support and never seen the same nurse gp or gynecologist, so it's very hard to feel cared for,

& now im jealous of expecting friends,

If this is one of the hardest journeys why is counseling offered at IVF, it's a miracle if we'll still feel sane by then,