PDA

View Full Version : sore throat for 3 weeks so far

Justinf
01-09-13, 02:15
Sore throat started with cold-like symptoms. Prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin) for 10 days. Lost the medicine with 2 days to go (stupid me).
seemed to get a bit better but then returned and switched to the left side of my throat and then back to the middle. Went to the doc again and she prescribed a different antibiotic for 5 days.
I am terrified of throat cancer but the my doctor said I dn't have any other symptoms for that. I am three days into the five-day course and it is still lingering. On a pain scale, it's only about a 2 or 3. More an annoyance than anything.
My doc said if the antibiotics don't work, then it must be a persistent viral infection and I will just have to wait it out.
But then I hear that any sore throat that last longer than 2 weeks could be throat cancer.
It's sore right at the back of my throat when I swallow.
Worried. :scared10:

nomorepanic
01-09-13, 02:37
I used to get sore throats that lasted weeks on end
It was not cancer at all

things take time to go

Justinf
01-09-13, 02:44
Thanks Nicola. That means a lot to me right at the moment.

Fishmanpa
01-09-13, 02:52
As an oral cancer survivor, I can tell you that typically, one would have no symptoms whatsoever. When oral cancer (BOT, throat, tonsil, oropharynx etc) shows itself, it's usually in the later stages. Most often, the only indication something is amiss is a swollen painless lymph node that won't respond to antibiotics. A tumor in the throat or esophagus would not be so much painful but would cause swallowing issues that would progressively get worse. Throat, neck and ear pain are more indicative of tonsil, sinus or acid reflux issues.

Also, oral cancers are very slow growing and would not present themselves all of a sudden as a sore throat. What's going on is a bacterial or viral infection. Continue to take your meds. Hopefully it will resolve soon.

Justinf
01-09-13, 03:08
Thankyou so much Fishmanpa for your reply. I appreciate it and I hope your prognosis is good.

swajj
01-09-13, 03:53
I get persistent sore throats. It could be allergy related. Even if you have never been prone to allergies they are something that can come on you at any stage of your life. I never used to suffer with them and neither did my husband but we both do now. If it's viral antibiotics will not help it. My doctor reckons that there is no better way of treating a sore throat than gargling salt water a few times a day. He says that nothing is more effective for killing bacteria.

whensomever
01-09-13, 06:59
I agree with swajj - I've had sore throats that lasted for weeks (even 2 months one time) and for me it turned out to be allergies. I could even control which side was sore based on how I slept at night (on my right or left side), because of how my sinuses would drain.

I still get a sore throat if I get particularly tired, or if my acid reflux is bad, or if my allergies get really bad. And obviously if I have a cold. There are lots of potential causes and there's no reason you shouldn't trust your doctor's opinion that there's no reason to think it's throat cancer.

The internet is especially dangerous for these "rules" diagnosing what it means if a symptom has lasted a certain period, e.g. "You should be concerned if your sore throat / cough / muscle pain / chest ache / whatever lasts longer than X amount of time". I know this from experience (I was worried about throat cancer too, when I had a chronic sore throat).

Hang in there.

--whensomever

Justinf
01-09-13, 08:54
Thankyou so much everyone. I really mean it. I appreciate it a lot.

Darbysa
01-09-13, 08:57
Justin
I had a sore throat earlier this year that lasted just over 6 weeks. Like you it was not particularly painful, just irritating and always there, sometimes with a headache and mild earache. I had throat and tongue swabs which came back negative. It's easy to get worried about these things I know. Eventually it just went. Doc said it was a virus and nothing unusual and of course she was right!
Hope you feel better soon.
Sal

anthrokid
01-09-13, 11:13
I don't know what area you live in, but I'm also from Australia and we've had this blasted virus going around that gives you a lingering sore throat for weeks. I know so many people who have had it! I have it myself at the moment. First become sick 2-3 weeks ago, now I'm fine apart from this darn sore throt that still hurts every time I swallow. I was actually already taking antibiotics for a piercing infection when I got it, so I'm just waiting for it to pass. Seems it may not respond to antibiotics well. Stupid virus.

Justinf
02-09-13, 03:27
Thanks Darbysa and aimeekid.
I'm in southern Victoria. There have been lots or lergies going around this winter.
Woke up this morning and it was sore. Had something to eat and gargled some salt water and now it's OK. Go figure.
it will probably be sore again later.
I worry too much.

swajj
02-09-13, 11:07
It will be sore again later Justin. Just keep gargling the salt water. It make still take weeks to cure the sore throat but the salt water gargling will help relieve it. I'm in Sydney. NSW and Vic weather have been all over the place this winter. My allergies have never been worse. There are numerous viruses doing the rounds too. Everyone I know who has had one recently has taken weeks and weeks to recover from it. You'll be OK. :)

anthrokid
02-09-13, 15:16
Yep, I'm in Southern Vic as well. It's just something going around at the moment and it absolutely sucks. Just keep on gargling that salt water and try to drink a lot of water.

Justinf
03-09-13, 01:39
Woke up this morning and it was all gone. I need to chill more. Easier said than done. Thankyou to everyone who helped in this thread.

anthrokid
03-09-13, 05:28
Awesome to hear! Maybe mine will clear up soon too, haha!

Justinf
03-09-13, 05:51
Awesome to hear! Maybe mine will clear up soon too, haha!
Mine will come back again on Monday after I scream myself hoarse when the mighty Tigers win on Sunday!:yesyes:

---------- Post added at 04:51 ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 ----------

Your blog is awesome too. Love your writing style.

anthrokid
03-09-13, 05:55
Haha! It's going to be a big weekend for a lot of people! You'll probably be one of thousands with screaming induced throat pain!

Oh thank you:) That's really nice to hear!