PDA

View Full Version : Weird habit of shaking my hands to release anxiety

Ditapage
01-09-13, 02:55
I don't have autism or aspergers that I know of. But I have been doing this bizarre hand shaking behaviour since the anxiety started, and tensing up like you would do if you feel cold. i never do it in public and I do it voluntarily, its not an urge, it's like an anxiety release, and its also a way to cope with excite feelings too. I feel sick after it because it makes me feel worked up, but I do it anyway.

The muscles in my arms hurt because I really shake my hands hard in front of me. I would be very embarrassed to be caught doing it.

What is this??

Eyji1
01-09-13, 11:55
A nervous habit you've created for yourself...

When I'm nervous I walk around at double speed. When I'm out with my girlfriend and I get nervous she keeps telling me to "Stop running" cause i'm walking so fast.

I guess this is all a matter of releasing pent up energy / adrenalin.

Hope this helps at all.

Speranza
01-09-13, 12:40
How interesting. The kids I teach tell me that 'flappping' does exactly what you say - but I guess you don't have to have Autism to find it helpful.

inCOGnito
01-09-13, 15:53
it releases tension just like a bird flapping its wings

xvolatileheart
01-09-13, 16:17
I have all kinds of anxiety releasing behaviours. I'm constantly jiggling my legs, I tense up all over my body, I pull out my hair, I clench my jaw repeatedly, I bite my nails, etc. Those are just a few examples! It's just our way of releasing anxiety, there's nothing to worry about.

jayjoe18
01-09-13, 17:03
It's weird, I do something similar although I can't help it, it just happens and I get what I can only describe as the chills, like when you suddenly feel really cold and do that wierd shiver thing. I know it's just a way to release nervous energy. I also jiggle my legs about and probably many others that I haven't even noticed!

Fishmanpa
01-09-13, 23:21
"Weird habit of shaking my hands to release anxiety"

If you have a partner (or even if you don't), sex is a much more pleasing way to release anxiety ;)

StarryBlueGal
02-09-13, 03:47
I used to do this when I was little, when I get excited, I would flap my hands. I don't know why I do this but I grew out of it. Mum got worried when she saw me doing it as she thought something was wrong with me. Also I got anxious of having Autism because I have seen autistic people doing this a lot, and I still do think I might have Autism as well...it is interesting to see that non autistic people do this as well. Also I have seen my 2 years old Nephew do it when he is excited, he is a normal kid, very happy boy.