PDA

View Full Version : Fighting an Attack

EnoughAlready
01-09-13, 20:32
Does anyone else have periods where they are trying to fight off an attack. I haven't had one for awhile but I am very anxious today and my tummy has bloated out and I feel very on edge and am aware my anxiety is rising to a point where I get that horrible racing heartbeat, sweats, feinting / dizzy feeling.

Anyone got any tricks to try and ignore it or get through it ?

jillyb
01-09-13, 21:01
I was listening to a Claire Weekes download yesterday and her advice was to not fight the feelings but to just sit them out. Also deep breathing from the diaphragm is supposed to help. Horrid aren't they! X

Fianna
01-09-13, 21:31
I got some good advice about breathing through the panic from a therapist.

You have to push your lower stomach out, then breathe in really deeply through your nose, hold that for the count of 10, and then breath it all out slowly. Then repeat.

It works well for me, hopefully it will help you.

AuntieMoosie
01-09-13, 23:20
The best advice that I can give you is to not fight it, instead ride it out, accept it and let it do it's stuff, that way, you will soon realise that nothing bad is ever going to happen to you during a panic attack, no matter how awful they may be.

Each time you do that, you will gain more confidence and you will become less frightened of them, which will then mean that they will eventually stop because they are only to do with fear, once the fear has gone, so will the panic attacks.

It sounds hard, but believe me, it does work because that's how I'm managing to conquer them :)