PDA

View Full Version : Dianette Freak-Out...

Moondreams
02-09-13, 14:45
Hi, first post so apologies for any hysteria etc.

I don't know of people are familiar with Dianette but it's a birth control pill prescribed for acne as it was in my case. It was very good and did the job beautifully. I remember someone telling me at some point that you should take a break from it at some point which I did back in '07 but no-one told me that you really shouldn't be on it for more than 2 years. I have been on it for 10. Now, that caused me to freak out enough because I started reading all the horror stories about what long term effects in can cause but that's only the half of it. I came off it about 3 weeks ago now and am suffering with the usual kind of side effects that comes with coming off hormone pills. I can live with this. But I am suddenly freaking out about DVT and could really use some advice or someone to tell me to calm down.

Dianette is apparently the strongest form of BC there is and, as a result, carries a higher risk of DVT than any of the others. There have been several reports of young women dying from an embolism and having been on Dianette. I figured this was more a risk while you were on it and I needn't worry now I have come off but I just read about a 16 year old who had been off it for 4 weeks and then died when a blood clot got into her lung. So now I am freaking out that, despite coming off the pill, I could still get a clot.

I went on a 7 hour flight in April but I would guess if I were to have gotten one as a result from that, it would have already caused problems by now. I really don't know how quickly they form and move. Is there anything else that might cause it? I am slightly overweight, non-smoker, not one for exercise and have a tendency to vegetate but I am a fidget and move around a fair bit. I don't hydrate as much as I should, would this increase the risk?

I know I should talk to my doctor but 1) it's almost impossible to get an appointment and 2) the fact that they let me stay on it for 10 years doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks!