PDA

View Full Version : Constant awareness of heartbeat/pounding heart

alessandro1981
02-09-13, 17:45
Hi everyone,

i have a history of depression and anxiety and over the years i have been on several ssris etc fluexetine,sirtaline,citalopran and most recently mirtazapine which seems to help a bit since i managed to get off the xanax thansk to it.
The only think im still struggling with is the constansst awareness of my heart i can feel it pounding non stop sometimes with little aches ..so had a chest x ray which was normal and a 24hr ekg which was normal also.
My doctor keeps telling me is anxiety but i feel short of breath most of the time,and especially when im lying in bed i can see my whole body moving to the heartbeat being so strong.Its driving me crazy.I live in fear ill have a stroke any minute.
can anyone help me and give me some info please?has anyone else experienced this 24/7?

thanks and stay strong

Annie0904
02-09-13, 19:03
It will appear to be pounding more because you are focusing on it and increasing your anxiety. Try to distract yourself every time you are aware that you are focusing on it.

alessandro1981
02-09-13, 20:33
thanks for the reply....ive bee trying to distract myself but lately it happens even when im watchin tv....i d have my laptop on my belly and i can see it vibrating to the rythm of my heart its scary

Annie0904
02-09-13, 20:46
Your doctor is right it is anxiety and you have had the tests done to rule out any other problems. :hugs:

natalie5555
02-09-13, 21:26
I have problems with this it's horrible when your constantly worrying about your heart! I get pains in my chest too. I have really bad days and some days I'm okish. You need to speak to a therapist or something hope you are ok I know it's hard I'm having cbt as my obsession with my heart started after my first panic attack and now it's hard to nudge it

alessandro1981
04-09-13, 19:52
it is so hard im constantly out of breath....im now on mirtazapine but it doesnt seem to do much....i managed to detox myself from xanax which was the only thing that seemed to work...i asked my gp to refer me to a psychiatrist
i always feel tired as well