PDA

View Full Version : Panic and drugs?

Alex31
03-09-13, 01:00
Hi all, I have been suffering from terrible panic, especially at night, which leads to my getting very little sleep and have been to see a Psychiatrist (privately as would take at least 6 months on the NHS!) He wishes to prescribe me benzodiazepines and temazepam. I am also undertaking a course of CBT.

I am also 4 months pregnant and would really rather not take the drugs, but the CBT is not going to work immediately and am suffering very badly and I am having panic attacks and anxiety at work (teacher,) when driving and all sorts. It's like torture, especially in the middle of the night when I desperately need sleep.

Does anyone have any experience of any of this and maybe some tips or advice as am floundering and feeling very out of control and am not coping?

Thank you,

Alex x

dally
03-09-13, 12:22
Hi
I really feel for you. I had terrible pa's through both my pregnancies and couldn't take anything.
Well actually my doc prescribed piriton the anti histamine. For morning sickness
It was the DROWSY one.
I fought not to take it cos I was soooo scared of it affecting my baby
But the sickness was constant and every day
My doc told me at the time, he had prescribed them to pregnant mothers for over twent years with no ill effect to mother or baby.
So eventually I took one
And slept for nearly two days!!!!
the side effect can be drowsiness.
I have read that these drowsy antihistamines can be used as a sedative
With no addiction
After 12 weeks the baby is completely formed so there should be no problem
But bear in mind, you should not drive if you take benzos
I can only assume your doc has checked that these meds are safe in pregnancy?
DON'T take anything unless you check with your pharmacist or doc if its safe.
Xxxx