PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's 1st post - health anxiety

JuniorMcG1987
03-09-13, 08:35
Hi folks,

Im 25 y/o male, good all round health (minus the anxiety) I've been a member for a while now although only used the site to help reassure myself when ever I felt "that pain" or a new symptom (chest pains, eye twitching, thumb twitching, sweaty palms and the latest is a lump in my throat / choking)

I'm currently laying in bed just now feeling slightly sorry for myself after I spent 4 hours at A&E last night again convinced "something wasn't right with my heart"

It all began yesterday evening when I was working out at home doing my usual bench presses etc when I got "that pain" across the top of my chest so as usual I started to panic although since I was due to start work I thought I'd get in the shower and start getting organised for work to take my mind off the pain,

So I'm in the shower when suddenly it felt like someone had grabbed me by the throat and I started choking! I got out the shower and took some aspirin & propranolol to calm myself down... Before I knew it I was vomiting that's when I thought right! I need to get this checked out, so away to A&E I went, thankfully I got seen pretty quickly considering how busy it was for a Monday night.

After getting a ECG, chest X-ray & bloods I got the all clear (again)

I'm now at the point were I've been suffering this for over a year now and to be honest I'm bored of feeling like I'm always on edge and wish it would just go away!!

I guess I just thought I would share my story (rant) as I'm sure there's plenty of others who suffer with health anxiety, heart/lung related....

I can trace back to what triggered my anxiety but still haven't learned to let it go if that makes sense?:unsure:

Anyway that's how I spent my Monday night,
If you have had a similar experience & are now on the other side please comment with any tips or advice :D

ankietyjoe
03-09-13, 09:59
Hi dude

It all sounds very 'normal' for somebody suffering with anxiety.

Take comfort in the fact that you've had medical tests done and have been given the all clear.

It sounds like you're already in the right mindset by just trying to get on with things and ignoring the symptoms. The worst thing to do is to overthink them as it's pretty inevitable that symptoms will change to something new. For me it's best to think about anxiety as a whole, rather than the many small parts it can become.

I spent a LOT of time analysing every single sensation I had, and I can assure you it's the road to misery. As you get your head round one, another will inevitably appear.

My personal preference is not to take medication. I did have CBT sessions about 5 years ago which was very helpful and in fact got me back to some sort of normal life. Unfortunately the stresses that go along with life increased massively a year or so later which led to another savage bout of anxiety and depression that's only starting to leave me now. This time it was the health anxiety that I found most difficult to deal with as it really is a moving target.

To cut a long story short the GP told me (in a matter of fact fashion) that if I didn't want to take medication then I had to find a way of dealing with it myself. I kinda appreciated that as chasing 'quick fixes' is not the answer in my mind as I needed to know I could cope if those fixes were taken away or became ineffective.

After much reading and research I stumbled across meditation and mindfulness. What I once thought was little more than a hippie lifestyle choice pretty much transformed my outlook on anxiety and depression.

Now I'm not saying that I no longer suffer, because I do. I also know that wherever I am and whatever I'm feeling that I can cope with it though, and that's a BIG factor in what I know will be my ultimate recovery. It may take many months, but as long as I know the end is in sight I'm cool with that.

It's a battle, but it's one that can be beaten I feel.

skippy66
03-09-13, 11:54
I've been in an almost identical situation to you. I was the same age, male, same heart fears, similar heart symptoms.

Here's what you need to do (in a nutshell). Please don't take this the wrong way as my intention is to help you, and I wouldn't say this to a female in your situation but this is something I think 99% of men can relate to:

You need to MAN UP.

What I mean by this is you need to face the scary symptoms head on. At the moment you are hyper-sensitised to them, you feel every little twinge. You are effectively running away from the symptoms and they are chasing you. Fear of heart attack is consuming your thoughts and I know EXACTLY how that feels. I wasted years in this state.

The only way you can reduce the symptoms is to face them and say to them: 'do your worst'. Once you reach that point of total acceptance you will notice a reduction in the frequency and severity of them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I'm just relaying to you what worked for me.

ankietyjoe
03-09-13, 15:03
Here's what you need to do (in a nutshell). Please don't take this the wrong way as my intention is to help you, and I wouldn't say this to a female in your situation but this is something I think 99% of men can relate to:

You need to MAN UP.

While I agree with what else you said, I really don't relate to this part (as a man) at all.

Male or female, we must face the terror that is involved with panic attacks in the same way, so what should women do in the same situation? Sit down and cry? :whistles:

But yes, not pandering to it is a powerful tool no matter what sex you are. It's much easier to say than do though, and requires much practise.

millielaura
03-09-13, 16:19
I know exactly how you feel! I'm convinced there is something wrong with my heart! I get skipped beats/palpitations daily, and today I experienced a sharp stabbing pain in my chest. As soon as I start to feel better and more positive, another symptom appears and I feel like I can't live a normal life for fear of a heart attack.

JuniorMcG1987
03-09-13, 21:01
Thanks ankietyjoe & skippy66 for your replies,

As mentioned I' am trying to feel more positive and at ease knowing what ever is causing the anxiety symptoms is nothing life threatening,

Today I'm feeling a lot better although still having the odd intrusive thought throughout the day but I'm coping well :) (just hope it keeps going this way)

Skippy66 I know exactly where your coming from & I tell myself it all the time however it is difficult to ignore the sharp pains and choking sensation when your struggling to breathe :unsure:

thanks again for your input guys