PDA

View Full Version : Presentation fears

Down_Lo
04-09-13, 13:49
Hi guys,

Left a post few weeks ago about my anxiety/panic attacks during work. Since then I have been up and down, good days/bad days basically.

Still waiting to see the doc as well as they are on holiday just now.

Anyway I have started a evening course at college to hopefully open more doors into other employment and try and get myself motivated again.

Was looking forward to it but as it came closer started to feel really anxious but made an effort to go last night.
First night was last night and went ok until they told me that part of the course now is to do 2 presentations which have been added in!

I know this probably seems trivial and not many people like presentations anyway but this is a total fear for me!

I have managed to successfully avoid them in the past at college and still passed my coursework but this is now mandatory and counts for a big part of the results!

I honestly dont know what to do, the rest of the course sounds pretty good and I'm actually looking forward to it. They have just added these presentations into the coursework this year as well! Just in time for me! lol :ohmy:

Anyway I honestly dont know what to do whether to approach the course leader and explain to him about my anxiety.
I was lying in bed last night when I got back and even debated with myself on leaving the course because of it!

I have never liked presentations in the past but done a few through school etc but now my anxiety is sky high and cinfidence is rock bottom I dont feel I could stand up there without crumbling! I feel really anxious just thinking about it!

Sorry for another essay but had to explain whats happening. Any advice or similar experiences?

Cheers Guys

Jacsta
04-09-13, 14:15
I have the same fear with presentations, I had panic attacks over them when I was at university. To be honest...if they have to be done they have to be done. Ask the tutor if they are a must to pass the course or if there is an alternative. If it is a must then be open with tutor and classmates about the fear you have and practice lots.

After 3 years at uni I got to the stage where I could finish my presentation without ending up in tears....for me that was a huge step and to be honest made me feel proud.

Also....most people hate presentations, so remember you are the only one bricking it, and people really so sympathise

Good luck

Down_Lo
04-09-13, 15:08
Thanks. Thats the thing I done them at at school and although I never really liked them I just had a very mild butterfly feeling in the pit of my stomach which would usually go away once I started. It never really bothered me much when I was younger.

I dont know where my fear came from or developed but it was at the end of college a few years ago I had to do a presentation and felt sick at the thought of doing it, it was only worth a half mark of the overall course so I just left it out.

Few years ago I was back at uni and had a presentation to do, I had all my stuff ready to go but sat outside in the car crippled with fear of doing it, felt like I was literally going to be sick with nerves. Ended up going home and missed the presentation and got marked down for it.

Think I will need to speak to the course leader in the next few weeks before the presentation after xmas which is block 2. Thing is I am fine with customers in my work just now and chatting back and forward but when it comes to presentations my stomach just goes for some reason! I think its the condition its under and the feeling of all eyes on me, being centre of attention etc. Hate it.

Even if I could do it in front of the lecturer would be an effort but would be much better than in front of a room full.

Jacsta
04-09-13, 15:27
You won't get unless you ask so it is definitely worth a discussion. Try and stamp out the irrational thoughts about doing the presentation and think positively about it. Just think how great you'll feel if you manage to do it!

As I said before it is something I really struggled with, but now I am in a position where I can plod through them. If I can get to that stage...then anyone can :)

Down_Lo
04-09-13, 16:39
Thats what I keep trying to tell myself, its not the end of the world! But I know when the time comes it will feel like that, going to try and forget it at least just now till I speak to them about it.

Doesnt help that the guy i sit with in work is going as well now to it, I try my best to hide my anxiety in here and dont really want him knowing about my stress with it or seeing me have to waffle through it!