PDA

View Full Version : trains

lise7
05-09-13, 13:47
I had to take the tube into london managed a couple of stops before a panic attack started, i had my kids and other half with me but had to get off the train, does anyone else have this on public transport and has anyone managed to get over it x

Liviguy
05-09-13, 14:10
Hi Lise,

Transport was a massive issue for me a while back. I was unable to drive the car on motorways and if I had to get a train I spent the night before panicking in bed.

I had to force myself to get on the train and the whole journey was hell. I'd bury my head in a newspaper, I wasn't reading it, I just wanted to look 'normal'.

I visited a hypnotherapist who showed me a technique which seemed to work. When I was approaching the slip road or about to board a train and I felt the panic coming I pinched myself on the leg and shouted 'to myself' STOP and repeated until the panic subsided.

It in no way cured me, as even now I get a bit jittery at times, but I know it is just a feeling and I make myself face the fact that nothing bad will happen.

Good luck, I know exactly how you feel.

Col
05-09-13, 20:27
I think most people who aren't used to the tube feel anxious GAD sufferer or not! It's bumming awful - well done for even even getting on the thing.

lise7
06-09-13, 00:09
I flew to turkey last month didn't take the medication the doctor gave me, felt really proud that I'd done it. Train journeys set me off thought I could do it obviously I can't :(

t0rt01se36
06-09-13, 09:35
I have panicked on a train before. It made me lose my confidence about travelling, generally. I decided to not travel by train for a few years, just to sort myself out, because I didn't want to keep panicking. Eventually, some how, my panic attacks eased and I started anxiously using the train again. I didn't panic. It was just the anxious thoughts, that spoilt the journies.

I used to be very anxious and panicky on buses. The way I recovered was to keep taking short journies, just to test myself. Forcing myself to stay on the bus worked, because I kept telling myself, it's ok to be anxious, but not so good, to have to get off the bus and walk home, without achieving what I attended to do.