PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar disorder/manic depressive disorder

HunniBee
05-09-13, 21:49
Evening all,

I wanted to ask a few questions as I'm curious to know & to see if anyone on this forum does suffer with bipolar disorder?

I've recently noticed that over the past 8 years my moods have gotten progressively worse, I can be as happy as larry (whoever he is!!) for a day or even half a day and then I can just spiral down & down & down where I get to the point where I feel worthless, like there's no point in anything anymore & where I just want to cry.
When I'm happy, I am literally laughing, joking, bouncing off the walks & full of beans but when I'm down, I'm down. When I feel guilty or anxious about something it's like it's the end of the world & I just think of ending it all so it will go away....

I constantly go on shopping sprees just to make myself happy....with a credit card, never my own money, I eat & eat & eat just like I'm eating my emotions away, I never want to get up in the mornings, I will sleep through my alarm most days & then have to rush to get ready.

I've been driving 8 years now & I've had around 15 cars which only 2 of them have I bought outright, the rest have been on finance.

Yesterday I was so happy, so optimistic, so chirpy but today I just feel so down, so depressed, so deflated.

Can anyone offer an insight or some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

HB xx

Eyji1
05-09-13, 23:43
Although I can't talk out of personal experience my friend does have bipolar disorder and so does his brother.

He (my friend) has been on many medications. And some have helped, some made it worse and some didn't do anything for him.

Today he is quite fine. Doing well in school and work, and is quite content with his life for the first time for what I think is about half of his life.

When I asked how he did it. (He's even stopped taking the medication now) he said that exercise, eating well, sleeping well and being aware of his thoughts along with a lighter outlook on life is what did it for him.

I realize that these tips are pretty dull and uninteresting. But simple things like healthy living habits can be all that a person needs for mental and physical well being.

Hope this helps at all.

Fishmanpa
06-09-13, 03:06
I was involved in a relationship with a woman who suffered from bi polar/manic depression disorder. We dated long distance for almost two years before moving in together. It was shortly thereafter that I noticed the symptoms you've described. In all the time we dated I never saw it. We talked several times a day and saw each other for a long 4-5 span once a month but it never showed itself. ...at least not where it raised any red flags. In fact, in retrospect, I believe I was seeing mostly the upside of the cycles. When I saw the downside after she moved in, she became almost a different person... nasty, mean, verbally abusive... it was confusing and frightening. When I finally figured out what was going on it was too late and the relationship had been damaged beyond repair. She moved out ten months after she moved in much to my relief!

I can sympathize in that from what I saw, it has to be maddening to ride the roller coaster that is bi polar/manic depression. I know from my side it was rather frightening and sad to see how it affected her. I did find out later that she was on medication and decided she didn't need it anymore.

Positive thoughts and prayers that you find a way to control it.

Consider
06-09-13, 07:51
From what you are describing, it sounds like bipolar disorder. The shopping sprees to me (I'm not a doctor) indicate a manic reaction or mixed state. Mixed state is when you have manic and depressive symptoms at the same time. Crazy stuff, right? Depressive state in bipolar disorder usually consists of extreme sadness, suicidal thoughts, and withdrawal from activities.

Manic reaction include anger, euphoric happiness, impulsive activities, shopping sprees, to name a few.

But not all people are manic, some are hypomanic which is on the less extreme end, and these people usually are happy and the life of the party.

Do not let this go, please don't. The fact that you had suicidal thoughts means it's a problem, and you need to go get help. It may not be bipolar, there may be other factors involved. Don't wait, please see a doctor.

HunniBee
06-09-13, 08:38
Thank you all for your replies, it is much appreciated & it helps that I don't feel so alone.

I have made an appointment this morning but it's an emergency one so may not be with my doctor but now I'm thinking to myself I don't know what to say as I don't want to sound stupid!! :(

HB xx

anthrokid
06-09-13, 14:03
Hi HB,

I'm really pleased to hear that you've made an appointment with the doc, a great step to take. I just want to clarify, have you been diagnosed as bipolar or are you considering that you may have it? It'll help me give you some advice if you could clarify for me :)

HunniBee
06-09-13, 14:50
Hi anthrokid,

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't been diagnosed....just some of the symptoms are similar but looking online is the worst place to look for things like that.

I did go today & he said as I don't have any signs on mania it doesn't seem as though it is that. He has put me on fluoxetine and I start that in 7 days so we shall see.

HB xx

anthrokid
06-09-13, 14:52
HB, thank you for that :)

Have you been to see a psychologist/psychiatrist or is it only the GP who has discussed this with you?

HunniBee
06-09-13, 14:59
No problem :)

It has only been discussed with my GP if that helps?

HB xx

anthrokid
06-09-13, 15:04
Thanks HB, I've replied in the fluoxetine forum, probably best to continue from there given that my comments seem to be doubling up :P