PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

Anxious lu
05-09-13, 22:26
My housemates girlfriend has shingles..she says her doctor said its not contagious but there is a few people at work said to have it.. We all work in a department store..can't stop checking my skin for spots now!

Also my 2 year old niece is over tomorrow should I cancel that!

Annie0904
05-09-13, 22:43
It is contagious but only to people who have not had chicken pox already.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

(Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus which lies dormant in the body so you can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox...shingles itself is not contagious but can give someone else chicken pox) Sorry this sounds confusing!

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

This is from the NHS site

it is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition. However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch chickenpox from someone with shingles. In the UK, chickenpox is so common during childhood that 9 out of 10 adults have had it, so will not be affected.
Catching chickenpox

The blisters (vesicles) that develop as a result of shingles contain virus particles. The virus can be spread through direct contact with the open blisters. If you have not had chickenpox before, you can catch it from direct contact with:
the fluid from the blisters of someone who has shingles
something that has the fluid on it, such as bed sheets or a towel
If you have shingles, you are contagious until the last blister has scabbed over. This will usually occur five to seven days after your symptoms started.

Anxious lu
05-09-13, 22:54
Okay I get it.. I have had chicken pox so I can't catch shingles.. However I could get shingles because the virus is sleeping in my body.
If her condition is still contagious and came into contact with my niece who has not had chicken pox she could catch it but in the form of chicken pox lol
My god

Annie0904
05-09-13, 22:59
Yes that's right :)