PDA

View Full Version : Left home - panic

G.Samsa
05-09-13, 23:03
Hello all,

I don't often post on here but have been going through a difficult time so I thought it might help.

I've recently (last Sunday) moved away from my parent's house for the first time and am finding it quite difficult. I'm a student, studying in my home town, so they're not very far away but I've been finding myself getting very anxious and tonight had the worst panic attack I've had for quite a while.

One of the main reasons I decided to move from home was to challenge myself (I think, anyway) and now I'm wondering whether I can cope with it. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for the past 5 years or so and am now worried that I won't be able to cope with being away from home. I panicked tonight about going out drinking - it's been awhile since I've made excuses in order to avoid just going out to the pub and I'm worried that the move has actually been detrimental.

I really just want to be able to relax and concentrate on my studies, but it's becoming so hard! I feel like I've permanently lost the sense of calm that comes from being at home and that I'm always going to on edge whilst I'm here.

Please let me know your thoughts, I just really want to talk to someone about this. I'm so lousy at talking to people about these types of feelings! I really hope it will get easier here.

lizzie29
06-09-13, 12:19
I'd say give it some time before making any decisions. It will take time to adjust, and it's bound to be a bit unsettling at first. Focus on the things that are positive about it - decorate how you want, watch what you want on tv, etc!

Jamesflames
06-09-13, 22:12
Yeah. Make it comfortable and do some serious relaxing. Feeling panicky in a new environment always passes once you start to feel more at home.

G.Samsa
06-09-13, 23:41
Thanks you two, I'm actually feeling a lot calmer this evening, hopefully the next time I start getting worried I'll be able to remember that it will pass.

Thanks again!

Eyji1
06-09-13, 23:47
I had this when I was first moving into my new house. At a certain point it will start to feel like home.