PDA

View Full Version : Freddie1

Freddie1
06-09-13, 08:55
Hi,

I've just registered and even that has made me feel anxious !
I've been been on a chat room, or forum before but this all seems safe and ok and I have to do something to move my recovery forward, so why not !

I have recently been told I am suffering from anxiety and depression, (not sure which came first ?!)
And I am starting to come to terms with what that means for me.
I'd be really interested to hear from anybody who has experience of feeling guilty about these labels being given to them.
I have worked all my life, I'm 47 and this is the first time I'm ever being off work.
I know I need to spend some time on myself at the moment, but the guilt is getting in the way of that and causing a vicious circle.
Anyway... Be good to hear from others and start to make some connections
Thank you. :)

Annie0904
06-09-13, 09:43
Hi Freddie, welcome to NMP
You wouldn't feel guilty if you had a heart condition or some other illness so don't feel guilty about having anxiety/depression, it is an illness just like any other. You need time to recover. You will get lots of support here so I am pleased you have joined us :)

Freddie1
06-09-13, 10:17
Hi Annie,Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, my rational brain knows it is an illness, no different from other illnesses, but my irrational brain is perhaps tapping into issues where my problems are stemming from, thus fuelling my problems ?
So... lots of work to do !!!
I have started to read a book by Helen Kennerley, called Overcoming Anxiety, which is helping, I think !!
But the highs and lows... Good and bad moments are all so alien to me !!